Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

baby checklist

(12 Posts)
nataliekristin Sun 18-Jan-15 10:40:56

I've been getting a few bits and pieces in preparation (still got 8 weeks til due date) but is there anything important or useful I've missed out?

- cot
- mattress
- fitted sheets x 2
- flat sheets x 2
- cellular blankets x 2
- cot bumper and coverlet
- moses basket
- nappy bin
- baby wipes
- nappies (newborn & size 1)
- baby bath
- changing mat x 1
- changing bag
- pram
- car seat
- steriliser and bottle starter kit
- formula (I'm not bf)
- muslin squares x 3

Clothes for baby
- long sleeve & footed bodysuits x 3
- sleeveless & legless bodysuits x 7
- socks
- leggings x 1
- cardigan x 1
- scratch mittens
- bibs x 10

I haven't bought baby toiletries like bath wash or creams as I read you should only wash baby with water/wipes to begin with - is that right?

NickyEds Sun 18-Jan-15 10:55:52

I'd get more sleepsuits (long sleeved with feet and, if you can built in scratch mits). My ds got through 3 during the 22 hours he was in hospital!! Maybe another couple of cardigans? You don't mention bottom sheets for the moses but you'll need a few of those.
No need for toiletries but you'll need cotton wool- the pads are better than the balls. All in one snow suit type thing for outdoors and transfer home.
Nursery thermometer
Bouncy chair
Moniter

sunshinemeg Sun 18-Jan-15 11:01:50

I would get a LOT more Muslins. We have 30 and have easily gone through 10 in a day!

babyblabber Sun 18-Jan-15 11:17:51

More sleep suits for sure, at least 20 muslins.

I never used flat sheets but I'd get more fitted sheets. Sheets for Moses basket too.

Cotton wool much better than wipes for those early poos & sudo for sore bums.

Hats, coat/pramsuit for baby. Thermometer. Baby monitor.

Cot bumpers are not recommended.

magpieginglebells Sun 18-Jan-15 11:26:54

I agree with more sleep suits, we went through a few a day when our baby was newborn (and she is 4 months and on her second of the day today). We did get lots as hand me downs and gifts though so might be worth holding fire.

I would look into cot bumpers, there's a lot of literature out there about them being dangerous. Our baby is not in a cot yet so not even considered them but I think people uses something called an air wrap instead?

We use a bath rest so she doesn't need a whole baby bath to herself, we chose this purely for space reasons.

magpieginglebells Sun 18-Jan-15 11:27:19

We also got loads of bibs and socks as presents too!

Artandco Sun 18-Jan-15 11:37:57

Yes a cot bumper and coverlet aren't recommended. That's like a duvet which a baby shouldn't have

cookielove Sun 18-Jan-15 11:39:30

You will definitely need more muslins that is probably the most used thing in our house and our ds is 5 months. I only use bibs when out and about to mop up his dribble and use muslins as bibs.

You may want to buy a sleeping bag or a swaddle blanket.

CheeseEMouse Sun 18-Jan-15 12:13:28

I used muslins for swaddling my little one when she was tiny. It really helped us because she used to wake herself up by flailing around and is one of the few things I will be buying yet more of for no2.

nataliekristin Sun 18-Jan-15 13:30:05

Thanks for the replies smile I never realised how much stuff I'd need to get!

Tranquilitybaby Sun 18-Jan-15 14:20:36

You need more sleep suits, you may go the three you have in the first 24 hours!

gincamelbak Sun 18-Jan-15 16:42:53

Do you want a sling? Stretchy wrap sling like a moby (that you tie yourself) or a close caboo (pre tied). Can be useful to keep baby held to you but without using your arms all the time.

Definitely more sleep suits.

Breast pads for you? I know you're not breast feeding but you may need something in case you leak for the first few days.

Sleeping bag

Hats

Nappy bags. Nappies can really smell in the nappy bin and can end up with a bin that just reeks even if you empty or clean it regularly.

Hand cream for you! You will be washing your hands a lot more and it's nice having nice cream.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: