Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

In bed with bad dry coughs - advice needed

(5 Posts)
SueV14 Sun 18-Jan-15 09:01:50

Hi everyone,

I have developed a bad dry cough since yesterday which is painful in my chest. No other symptoms apart from overall flabbiness and headache. My temperature was normal all day yesterday, now I have 37.1 C (didn't sleep well obviously).

I have Vicks VapoRub and 500mg paracetamol pills at home (not sure what dose and how often is recommended?). Any advice on was I can take or do to fight this. I am exactly 12 weeks today, first pregnancy and first cold in pregnancy, so have no clue.

Thanks a lot in advance!

miki100 Sun 18-Jan-15 09:26:04

Hi Sue, I am suffering with similar symptoms, I know this will sound old fashioned but I find soaking a tea towel in very warm olive oil and putting it on my chest very relieving. To avoid getting it on my clothes I put a dry one on top too. This is something my midwife recommended last week.
Hope you feel better soon

dementedpixie Sun 18-Jan-15 09:47:51

You could try a simple linctus to help soothe your throat or a warm drink with honey and lemon.

Britbird Sun 18-Jan-15 09:52:09

Plenty of warm drinks. Squash made with hot water is good. Also, coughs are worse when you're lying down so do try and get out of bed. Sit on sofa with a blanket instead.

SueV14 Sun 18-Jan-15 12:14:50

Thank you everybody. I emailed my consultant and she said 1000 mg paracetamol up to 4 times a day is ok. Sounds like bloody a lot to me, so only taking 500mg at a time. Hubby is going to get more honey and a cough sirup too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: