Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Mastitis as milk is coming in?

(3 Posts)
weeblueberry Sat 17-Jan-15 21:11:23

I'm 30 weeks and have noticed the last week or so that my milk production has obviously started. I'm now getting a, sadly familiar, burning sensation in one small part of my left breast. Think it could just be mastitis as a result of the milk production kicking in? I've looked on the nhs website and it does suggest non breastfeeding women can get it but it's generally linked to other things.

TwigletFiend Sun 18-Jan-15 09:36:59

I'm not a doctor, but I would think it's unlikely to be caused by milk production - you are going to be producing tiny levels of colostrum now, proper production of milk wont begin until its been stimulated by baby. Mastitis caused by BF is usually related to excess milk in the breast, either through oversupply or improper drainage, which leads to it getting forces out of the ducts and into the breast tissue itself, hence swelling and irritation etc.

I'd pop in and see a doctor. If it is mastitis, they should be able to indicate a cause and give you some AB. If it's not, good to get it checked out! Either way, boob pain is miserable. Definitely get it sorted before LO arrives and you have nipple pain to contend with as well! flowers for you.

skyra13 Sun 18-Jan-15 09:44:58

I suffered with Mastitis when I wasn't pregnant was caused by an old piercing hole that some how got infected strange after about 5 years of it being fine so can get it.

I would pop an see the doctor just to give you a little advise about it smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: