Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Weird placenta. No info at hospital

(6 Posts)
WorkingBling Fri 16-Jan-15 19:13:24

At 20 weeks I was told placenta was covering the cervix and referred for another scan at 34 weeks. For various reasons I was given another scan at 30 weeks. Three sonographers all looked at it and all think the placenta is now about 4 cm away. But all kept saying this is very unusual/ highly unlikely. And they didn't fill me wih confidence that they were seeing clearly.

Any ideas what's going on? I still have the 34 week scan so not massively worried but this pregnancy has been a little unusual!

Clobbered Fri 16-Jan-15 19:14:48

Relax, it's good news by the sound of it.

Haggisfish Fri 16-Jan-15 19:18:31

I didn't think it was that unusual-as the bump gets bigger and expands the placenta moves with it. I'm sure they will scan again.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Fri 16-Jan-15 19:19:49

I wast told mine was low at my 20week scan and referred for a 32 weeks scan, but told the placenta moves up and out of the way about 90% of the time?

capecath Fri 16-Jan-15 21:23:00

It does sound odd but at 30 weeks they will have a much better idea of where the placenta actually is, perhaps they didn't see correctly at 20 week scan? If you're not having any bleeding and you're still getting another scan, doesn't sound like any need to worry!

slightlyinsane Sat 17-Jan-15 23:23:48

It sounds like the sonographers don't know what they are talking about. As a pp has said it's completely normal for it to move up. Depending on where abouts it is attached to your uterus, as it grows the placenta moves with it. At 20wks mine was nearly covering my cervix 2wks later it wasn't. Granted it was a twin pregnancy so everything grew a bit quicker but they didn't expect it not to have moved.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: