Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Odd food question

(14 Posts)
DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 16-Jan-15 07:28:21

Just watching story about Americans banning haggis. I can't remember whether it was liver in or not off the top of my head.
I really love haggis, it's nearly Burns' night - am I allowed some?

skyra13 Fri 16-Jan-15 08:10:50

The best thing to check is the NHS website tells you what you can and can't have if it not on there I would assume it is fine.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

happygojo Fri 16-Jan-15 10:14:45

I thought it was a no to haggis (BOOOOO!!!) due to the fact it has liver etc and would be high in Vit A. I am considering veggie haggis though as it has the same seasoning as real haggis.

I love haggis. It is so comforting!

NickyEds Fri 16-Jan-15 10:17:56

I would imagine it would depend on the haggis but I'm guessing most have liver in so it's a no for this year I'm afraid.

m33r Fri 16-Jan-15 10:28:33

I thought it was a no along with black pudding ... I think primarily because as much as I love it, I know it's not exactly a prime cut! 9 weeks for me then I'm on it!!!

JennyBlueWren Fri 16-Jan-15 10:34:57

I'm sure one portion of haggis for Burns' won't hurt -I'll be going for it! It's not pure liver anyway -liver, lungs, heart, oatmeal, suet and onions.

It's not banned in the US because of the Vit A but because it contains sheep's lungs.

I've been having black pudding occasionally too -didn't know I wasn't meant to.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 16-Jan-15 10:36:31

No black pudding? What's wrong with that?hmm

readyforno2 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:41:19

I ate haggis in both pregnancies. Ds's are absolutely fine. As pp said, one portion won't do any harm

skyra13 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:45:00

You can have black pudding!! It has good amounts of iron in it!! very good for you in pregnancy.

weeblueberry Fri 16-Jan-15 10:50:28

Hmm I've eaten haggis both times. Genuinely didn't give it a second thought actually...

rosedavo Fri 16-Jan-15 18:18:28

I guess its the same as with alcohol - you can have a small bit if you want but generally you should probs avoid. Im sure a doctor could answer your questions and reasure you

Dolly87 Fri 16-Jan-15 19:01:10

Hi there, I'm a massive haggis fan too. Have done a wee bit of research into this and Macsween's contains no liver so is absolutely safe to eat in pregnancy smile xx

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 16-Jan-15 19:05:45

Thanks Dolly! That's my usual brand!

Caterina99 Fri 16-Jan-15 21:05:43

I live in the US and haggis is not allowed to be imported here. I believe it's something to do with the lungs actually not meeting some American food standards requirement (anyone analysed the contents of a hot dog? I know which I'd prefer!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: