Advanced search

Dates and scans

(14 Posts)
FeelTheNoise Thu 15-Jan-15 20:08:31

Hello all, my first post here smile

We have just found out I'm pregnant shock very surprised!
Possibly about 5 weeks, but really not sure.

We have MW appointment in 2 weeks, but my GP seemed doubtful I will be able to get a scan before 19 weeks. We don't know what my weeks are though confused

Have any of you had private dating scans? If so, was it worth it for you? I'm not the most patient of patients and not knowing is hard work! We would also benefit from the reassurance of seeing it, if that makes sense?

weeblueberry Thu 15-Jan-15 20:11:34

I thought they had to offer you a scan at 11-14 weeks to do a nuchal test if you've opted for it?

Do you have your booking in appointment organises yet? Your midwife might be more in the know about scans than your gp. If you're unsure about dates I'm not sure how you could wait until 19 weeks tbh.

FeelTheNoise Thu 15-Jan-15 20:15:25

Oh good call - I will ask for it! In my first (successful) pg I had a very soft uterus which made dating very difficult without the scan, so I'm expecting similar this time. Last pg was a very long time ago! My DC is hold enough for one of their own now!

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 15-Jan-15 20:32:53

It would be very unusual not to have a scan before 19 weeks. As the PP said, the nuchal test has to be done between 11 and 14 weeks. I had an emergency scan on Tuesday due to bleeding at 15 weeks and they said they can't reliably date a pregnancy after 14 weeks as they can't get an accurate crown-rump measurement. I live in a very busy area and didn't see the midwife until 11 weeks but had an appt for my scan through within days of that and had my dating scan at 13 weeks exactly over the Xmas period.

In terms of private scans I had an early private reassurance scan at 9 weeks which was fab. I would check re the NHS scan before shelling out though.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Thu 15-Jan-15 20:33:32

Meant to say it was definitely worth it for me, I think it was £99 but I know some areas are cheaper.

weelamb123 Thu 15-Jan-15 20:54:38

Congrats! U should get a scan between 12&14 weeks then at 20 weeks. That's normal practice, so dont know why gp said u wont get it til 19 weeks?? Xxx

FeelTheNoise Fri 16-Jan-15 10:59:06

You really have to battle for anything more than the absolute basic here confused

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 16-Jan-15 11:02:14

A scan at 12-14 weeks and one at 20 weeks is the absolute basic and offered by all NHS trusts.

Choccyhobnob Fri 16-Jan-15 11:05:00

Blimey Feel where abouts are you? I've booked a private early scan for when I think I'll be about 8 weeks as I'm too impatient to wait any longer to see if all is ok.

FeelTheNoise Sat 17-Jan-15 10:08:57

Ironically I'm in one of the best places to live in the UK, apparently!

We talked last night and I will request the nuchal fold scan, so they will have to give me a dating scan wink

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 17-Jan-15 10:40:51

According to this a scan at 12 and 20 weeks is offered to all women in all areas.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 17-Jan-15 10:41:10

Sorry link fail, am on phone on a train!

HappyAsASandboy Sat 17-Jan-15 14:30:04

Do you have a phone number for the midwife team? Your GP receptionist may have it for you, or it might be on your hospital's website.

I would call the midwives and ask about when you'll have your booking in and 12-week scan. They deal with all of this stuff, so the GP may be misinformed smile

Congratulations and good luck!

FeelTheNoise Mon 19-Jan-15 18:07:03

Thank you so much smile I've got my MW appointment next week and I'll be armed with a print out of the nhs commitment to offer the 12 week scan ��

Just so keen to know how far gone, to see the scan to make it real and to be able to start counting down smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now