Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Sooo many Brixton hicks.

(5 Posts)
Letmeeatcakecakecake Thu 15-Jan-15 12:09:13

With DS I only had Brixton hicks the day before I went into labour.

This time around I must have at least 10-15 a day (sometimes up to 30) from 20 weeks. Sometimes they're really strong and really take my breath away or are very uncomfortable. They haven't regulated and they obviously haven't turned into labour yet.

Is it usual to get this many Brixton hicks? Ill be 26 weeks on Saturday.

seaoflove Thu 15-Jan-15 12:14:21

I was the same with my first pregnancy. Google "irritable uterus" and see if that makes sense to you.

Apparently there are lots of triggers, like dehydration and having a full bladder (which is ironic!). I asked my MW if it was possible to have too many BHs and she said no. Sometimes, of an evening, I'd be getting them every five minutes, which was probably at the extreme end of normal.

They were always painless though. Strong and uncomfortable, but never pain. DD was born on her due date, so any worries about premature birth were unfounded.

eastcoastmum2014 Thu 15-Jan-15 12:15:28

I have been having them since 22 weeks, I'm just 39 weeks now and they are horrendous at night (to the point where I time them just incase!) I think its normal but if you are worried speak to your midwife about it smile

Ange77 Thu 15-Jan-15 12:36:55

you're not alone. I had them so much over Christmas, I may have noticed them more because I wasnt at work and was just relaxing. I'm 31 weeks now and still getting them.
I asked my midwife as I hardly had them at all with my last pregnancy, end of 2013. She told me it was normal and nothing to worry about.

TakesTwoToTango Thu 15-Jan-15 13:39:07

I had loads in my second pg - turned out to be caused by a uti that had not been picked up in the dip test. My midwife eventually sent off a sample even through it tested clear on her test and in the lab they found a very stubborn infection which was then treated with antibiotics (at 38 was - I'd had the bh since about 20wks) and I felt so much better!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: