Advanced search

Has anyone else been in the same boat?

(13 Posts)
ChrisL39 Thu 15-Jan-15 10:23:51

Hi everyone, I'm new to this but got myself in a little bit of a pickle and hoping for some (positive!) feedback. Please no negativity....
Long story short...
TTC for 2.5 yrs. Chemical pregnancy 07/13 m/c @ 4wks; IUI Oct 13 - BFN; IVF Nov 13 BFP but mmc @ 8.5 wks. IVF 07/14 BFN; Clomid Sept 14 - BFP, m/c @ 11wks, had D&C. My dilemma is that i've just found out i'm pregnant again, & i've worked out it must have been conceived at the beginning of December around 3 weeks after my D&C. I bled, lightly, for 2 weeks starting the middle of December which i thought was my first period after my D&C. However, after feeling sick for the last few weeks and not getting my second period which i thought would have appeared by now I did a digital test which said I was 3+ wks which dates it back to teh D&C. As we weren't TTC and I thought i had my period and we had just lost the baby we REALLY overindulged over Christmas & NY. Lots of glasses of wine and way too many cigarettes (I don't even normally smoke but I had that sod it attitude).

Anyway, enough waffle. What i'm really worried about is if i've damaged the baby with all the excess. Every other pregnancy I've been on detox mode for months before so it's ironic that this natural pregnancy should be teh result of gallons of wine. I've also never had morning sickness before until this one. By my estimation I conceived around 6 weeks ago but the Dr may date it from my D&C which would be 9 weeks.

Any advice?!

beno57 Thu 15-Jan-15 10:51:15

I understand your concerns, especially after your journey to get to this point. I really think in the early weeks you can't do much harm. I always rationalise this by thinking of how many people don't find out they are pregnant until much later and so have been not more careful. A few weeks of over indulgence would be fine. I over indulged just before my BFP in wine, cocktails, loads of rare beef etc. Everything is fine and now I'm glad I did and that my last rare steak was a good one!

FX this bean is a sticky one.

bubalou Thu 15-Jan-15 10:55:56

First of all as hard as it is - try and take a breath and relax.

You've been through a horrendous amount. It's terrific news you are PG. Feeling sick is also an extremely positive sign.

I think almost all mums have made the mistake of drinking / indulging not realising we were pg. I did with my DS now 6 - had no idea and drank etc heavily and then missed AF blush

He is fine and perfectly healthy. Do not torture yourself. The little foetuses are amazingly resilient. I've had hyperemesis now I am pg with dc 2 and I went 4 weeks without keeping any food down. Was in hospital for some of it, on a drip, bed bound. Eating 1 twiglet every 4 hours or so if I was lucky!

Try to relax and be kind to yourself. smile

Artistic Thu 15-Jan-15 11:02:30

Oh you poor thing - you've been through too much heartache! Sorry for your losses.

Ironically this always happens..the time one is over indulgent is when things click! After months of trying we have ourselves a holiday break & went on holiday where I ate, drank & made merry...went swimming everyday & even went on long hilly walks! Came down with a cold & decided to have Lemsip. Read on the pack that pregnant ladies shouldn't but I was so confident that am not that I had it anyways - for 3 days. Only to find myself pregnant at the end of that month! Was sick with worry but decided to focus on the future... All went well & here I am with a 3m old! smile

What I was told is very early days are typically all or if you have come along this far then no need to worry...just keep focus on the future.

Fwiw a bit of drink / smoke never causes serious's only those who do it over several months of pregnancy that need to worry.

You can do a private scan if it reassures you?

Looks like you're got a tough little baby this time..congrats & good luck!

MissTwister Thu 15-Jan-15 11:04:08

I did my preg test hungover....we weren't TTC that month (ironically taking a break) therefore it was such a fluke that I got my BFP that I'd been drinking with gay abandon. I drank a bottle and a half of wine day before I found out......I worried - a lot - but have heard so many positive stories and facts these fears have slowly abated.

Zsazsabinks Thu 15-Jan-15 11:21:41

First baby was a surprise and we had the whole party lifestyle going on, didn't realise I was pregnant until I was 10 weeks be absolutely blunt, cigarettes and alcohol were the least of my concerns!

Second baby I was a bit hungover when I took the test.

Third baby it took me a little while to realise that I was pregnant and I can almost certainly say that I will have had wine.

Don't worry, it really is absolutely fine and CONGRATULATIONS!

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 15-Jan-15 11:43:46

I did much the same - we'd been trying for 15 months with not so much as a sniff of a bfp, we'd both been ill so hadn't dtd in the right bit of the month, went to a wedding and drank and drank and drank. Got my bfp about a week later blush. At my booking in appointment I mentioned it to the midwife and she said it happens a lot!

BurnThisDiscoDown Thu 15-Jan-15 11:44:22

DS is fine btw!

ChocolateBiscuitCake Thu 15-Jan-15 11:49:14

For the first 10 weeks (or so) all the baby's nutrition comes from the yolk sac formed at the point of fertilisation. So no toxins pass up to this point to the foetus. After this time the placenta forms so that your body nourishes the baby...this is when it is preferable to avoid alcohol etc. so don't panic - all will be fine.

NickyEds Thu 15-Jan-15 11:56:37

Sorry for your losses and congratulations. Don't worry, it will be fine. I did my pregnancy test with DS because my hangover seemed a bit severe for what I'd drunk the night before. He was conceived after a bit of a piss upblush. I mentioned it to the mw and she said it happens all of the time. There's no placenta in the very early days so baby isn't effected. The main risks are miscarriage in the first few days or so and my mw said that if something was going to happen because of the nights out it would have done so already. Problems with alcohol for the baby (FAS) are caused by sustained heavy drinking during pregnancy so I'm sure you've nothing to worry about. Congratulations again!

ChrisL39 Thu 15-Jan-15 12:40:46

Thanks so much everyone, that really has put my mind at rest! Will have a scan next week to try to date it - although my gynae wants me to have bloods taken first - not really sure of the point of that when I know how far along I am. Although guess it could be twins which could throw the digital test off course...If I have got my timings right and it is 9 weeks along then it will be further than I have got with any other pregnancy. We know they stop at around 8.5 weeks due to chromosomal defects. Fingers crossed this time it will stick - although God knows how it has managed to so far with everything thrown at it - not to mention my age - 39 - you'd have thought I would have learnt to be more responsible by now!

NickyEds Thu 15-Jan-15 15:32:37

I know what you mean op. I'm 14 weeks and had a night out, pate,rare steak and fell down the bloody stairs with this one! I didn't think it was very likely I was pregnant as we have a 13 month old so, despite us technically trying, there wasn't a huge amount of "trying" going on!

Picklesauage Thu 15-Jan-15 18:17:32

Massive congratulations and please don't worry. Your baby does not take anything from you until around 8 weeks. It uses its own yolk sac til then. It gives you a good buffer!

Again many congratulations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now