Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

clearblue digital.

(27 Posts)
Bithurt Thu 15-Jan-15 05:15:50

Last night I used a clearblue digital to confirm what a cheaper test had shown earlier. The clearblue said pregnant 1-2 weeks.the thing is, my husband works away and has been away for 4 weeks. I've had a period just after he left which I believe can be quite normal. The last couple of days though, there's been light bleeding when I wipe (sorry for tmi!) It's not fresh blood. I'm worried now though that my hcg level is too low. Has anyone had the same with the digital and it's been ok?

Bithurt Thu 15-Jan-15 05:17:04

I've done another one this morning and it's saying 1-2 weeks as well

GinFace Thu 15-Jan-15 06:58:22

I think the dates on the CBDs can be quite misleading / confusing. If you're getting a positive test but having some bleeding it may be worth popping to your local early pregnancy unit to get checked out? They probably won't scan as it's early days, but they may take bloods to confirm your HCG levels. Try not to worry and take it easy thanks

sleepybee Thu 15-Jan-15 07:27:21

I think the digital tests count from ovulation/conception rather than date of your last period so I'd add on approx 2 weeks to what it's telling you. I was about 6 weeks before I got a 2-3 or a 3-4 reading. I was a serial tester

skyra13 Thu 15-Jan-15 07:28:27

The bleeding could also be an implantation bleed.
Also if a test shows as 1 to 2 weeks the doctor will tell you that you are actually 3 to 4 weeks. If you are worried go to your doctor or ring local midwife clinic see what they advise but may won't do anything until 12 weeks really not were I live anyway. I hope all is well x

Bithurt Thu 15-Jan-15 13:12:17

Thanks for the advice. I went to the gp and been told to wait 6 weeks then take another test. If it's negative, the bleeding would have been a miscarriage. The thing that I don't understand, is if I did miscarry 4 weeks ago when I bled, why would I have tender boobs and no period now.

GinFace Thu 15-Jan-15 15:24:56

Go to the EPU. They will give you answers which won't take six weeks. GPs are notoriously useless in early pregnancy. thanks

Bithurt Thu 15-Jan-15 16:11:22

The gp phoned our epu. And that's the advice they gave!

ToriB34 Thu 15-Jan-15 16:54:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChatEnOeuf Thu 15-Jan-15 16:56:57

I'd call EPU, tell them you're pregnant but don't know how far along and you've had some bleeding. They should do bloods and they may scan you.

ToriB34 Thu 15-Jan-15 16:58:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sleepybee Thu 15-Jan-15 17:33:23

I'd get your GP to treat it as you are pregnant & refer you to the hospital so you still get your booking & 12 week scan appointments if you wait to do another hpt test in 6 weeks time it will delay your referral to the hospital & your scan - which will confirm either way. Or I think you can just call your GP practice & ask for midwife appointment if midwifes operate from your practice

Bithurt Fri 16-Jan-15 16:27:16

Thanks everyone. With regards to the bleed a month ago, I didn't notice anything different but I wasn't really paying attention. It may have been shorter but that may be me thinking it.
I've thought about it more today, and realised that if the ePu are saying wait 6 weeks, I'll then be 10 weeks pregnant. I'm pissed off they're saying to wait 6 weeks now. I asked a couple of times if I could get the blood test but the ePu said there was no point.
The spotting I've had 2 days was just that. Which is perfectly normal. I'm wandering if the hospital has got confused as he dr was saying to them I'd been bleeding heavy the day before which isn't true. I did say that that was wrong.
I'm going to phone again on Monday for an appointment and ask to get referred to the ePu. Failing that, I'll pay to go private.

loudarts Fri 16-Jan-15 16:44:41

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but if you had a period after your dh left 4 weeks ago, how could you have conceived while he was away?

FlyingSpud Fri 16-Jan-15 16:58:15

Just pay £60 for a private scan. Or find another EPU. Sorry you're having to go through this.

FlyingSpud Fri 16-Jan-15 16:59:46

Loudarts the bleed may have been a pregnancy related bleed (I.e. not a period). OP thinks she fell pregnant before her husband went away, then had a bleed (implantation?) and now needs to work out if / how pregnant she is.

Bithurt Fri 16-Jan-15 17:06:28

My 'period' started a couple of days after he left. It is 100% his. Flying, there is only one ePu here. I'm going to go down the private route probably.
The dr says I definitely am or was pregnant. I'm getting symptoms.

Showy Fri 16-Jan-15 17:24:44

If your husband has been away for 4 weeks and you conceived before he left, then you're at the point where you'd expect a scan to be able to give you a decent amount of information about what's actually happening.

I know that CB are notoriously unreliable for the actual dating bit but with at least 4 weeks since conception, it is surprising that it says 1-2. With slow rising HCG and strange bleeding, I'd want a scan to confirm that the pregnancy- whether or not viable -is in the right location.

If you plan on waiting until the weekend is over to pursue a scan, please be aware of the signs of ectopic pregnancy. If you feel unwell, have increased loss of blood of discharge of a strange colour, pain (also in your shoulder tip) or any symptoms which worry you in the slightest, get checked out immediately.

FlyingSpud Fri 16-Jan-15 17:32:12

Showy is speaking absolute sense, bit.

Did you do the CB test first thing in the morning, using your first wee? Sounds gross but not doing that can really affect your HCG level in your wee and give you a skewed result in terms of how pregnant you are.

Of course I'd never suggest exaggerating your symptoms slightly so that the EPU might take your seriously...especially if there is a risk of ectopic as showy says.

Bithurt Fri 16-Jan-15 17:53:30

I did it first thing in the morning. I also did one the night before which showed 1-2 weeks which is why I did another in the morning. The dr checked my stomach and said if I was getting any signs that you've mentioned then to get back in touch as it could be a sign of an ectopic.
I'm surprised they said to wait 6 weeks as by then I'm going to be at least 10 weeks if it's all ok.

Showy Fri 16-Jan-15 17:57:43

Well, if everything is okay, in another 6 weeks you're actually going to be around 12 weeks at least. Which is slap bang in the middle of the window for dating and nuchal scans. And if everything isn't okay, sometimes you do very much need to know sooner rather than later.

Bithurt Fri 16-Jan-15 18:01:19

Can I just say, when I bled a month ago, I was due my period. So I'd have fallen pregnant just before. I know it's normally after.

Bithurt Fri 16-Jan-15 18:02:39

I know showy. I'm going to make an appointment on Monday with my gp. I don't know, are we allowed to phone the ePu ourselves for advice?

FlyingSpud Fri 16-Jan-15 19:49:53

I believe you can phone or self refer to most EPUs, bit. Be firm with them; you need to get checked out.

Bithurt Fri 16-Jan-15 20:08:08

Thanks flying. I've just phoned and spoke to a midwife. She's booked me in for a scan in 2 weeks. I've to take test the day before and cancel he appointment if it's negative.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: