Advanced search

Is the heart rate too high?

(8 Posts)
MissTwister Wed 14-Jan-15 20:02:07

I had a scan at 11 weeks and the heart rate was 175 - sonographer didn't say anything and at the end said everything looked great. But today I accidentally came across something saying it should be lower than that and generally drops after 9 weeks to a max of 160bpm by 12 weeks.

Me being me I've just spent an hour on Google and am now panicking after reading it could be a sign of cardiac abnormality and/ or Downs syndrome. The latter has been linked to a higher fetal heart rate.

Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Fleurchamp Wed 14-Jan-15 20:04:31

At 10 weeks my baby's heartbeat was 170 - I think I must have seen the same thing as you and instantly panicked!

At my 12 week scan it had dropped to 155 smile

I hope that helps

Mslad Wed 14-Jan-15 21:28:04

mine was 170 at 12 weeks. I've since had my 20 week scan and everything looks good, so I'd try not to read too much into it.

blackwidow74 Wed 14-Jan-15 23:40:53

It can be between 130 and 180 without concern ... my little one was clocked at 170 at 12 weeks, dropped to 165 by 16, I'm 26 weeks and aroundo 140 now

It will also be higher if baby is having an active moment smile

jmojo Thu 15-Jan-15 04:24:50

You being nervous with a faster pulse will also elevate baby's heart rate too!

skyra13 Thu 15-Jan-15 07:13:06

I am 28 weeks was checked out the other day and baby heart rate was going to 170 and dropping to 130 midwife seemed happy with everything, hope that makes you feel a little better x

MissTwister Thu 15-Jan-15 09:34:11

Thanks so much for your answers. I hate panicking this much and need to step away from Google.....I've had my harmony test and need to wait another week for result so am just so nervous!

tam2211 Thu 15-Jan-15 14:52:42 a midwife....and pregnant! Normal range is between 110-160 bpm. The earlier the pregnancy the higher the baseline rate will be. During periods of baby moving, the heart rate will increase and it's not uncommon to get accelerations in excess of 160, in fact it's a positive sign! When you see your community midwife, she should listen to the baby's heartbeat for a good minute or so to ensure the baseline rate is normal. Don't worry and i know its hard because i do it myself, but try not to google stuff, it may give you unnecessary anxiety, your health care professional should be able to reassure you. Always ask if you're confused about anything and don't leave until you're entirely happy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now