Advanced search

Philidelphia whilst pregnant?

(14 Posts)
Bubba19alicia Wed 14-Jan-15 19:06:59

I know I can't eat mouldy cheeses such as Brie, but desperately craving some philidelphia?! Can I???

Nolim Wed 14-Jan-15 19:07:55

I think that if it is pasteurized it is ok.

OxonConfusedDotCom Wed 14-Jan-15 19:09:21

Yes! Well i did, would. Admittedly a few years ago. Really don't see the risk, sure French women still eat their mouldy cheese, pates etc we're all advised against. A processed, pasteurised cream cheese within date should pose no risk : )

JeffVaderRunsTheDeathStar Wed 14-Jan-15 19:09:43

Philidelphia is safe as it is pasteurised. Eat as much as you like. smile

Bubba19alicia Wed 14-Jan-15 19:13:43

Thank you everyone! Absolutely love philidelphia and realy fancied it but the OH started worrying it was unsafe!

JennyBlueWren Wed 14-Jan-15 19:27:01

So long as the philidelphia's not mouldy! wink

itssangriaoclock Wed 14-Jan-15 19:29:48

You can eat soft cheese like Philadelphia as it's pasteurised. You can even have a Brie and cambert as if brought from supermarket will be pasteurised. If going to a restaurant and having it baked or deep fried will also be perfectly fine.

It's blue vain cheese you can't have

BeverleyCrusher Wed 14-Jan-15 19:35:00

There is an nhs page which covers this. You can have blue cheese as long as it's hard like Stilton, not soft like dolcelatte.

No mould-ripened cheese like Brie unless thoroughly cooked

MissTwister Wed 14-Jan-15 20:58:26

You can buy both pasteurised and non pasteurised brie in supermarkets but you can't eat mould ripened soft cheeses even if they are pasteurised unfortunately.

All hard cheeses including Blue Stilton are fine

And BTW French restrictions on food are stricter than in UK - def no pate or Brie for them!

Spanielpuppy Wed 14-Jan-15 22:32:02

It's perfectly safe to eat pasteurised Brie and cambert. It's also safe to eat cooked Brie and cambert.

Pate, blue vain cheeses, swordfish, marlin, soft eggs, rare/raw meat and too much tuna are not safe.

I asked today at my consultant appointment.

BeverleyCrusher Wed 14-Jan-15 23:25:42

I'm afraid that isn't correct, and some HCP are out of date with this.
The issue is listeria (very rare though it is to get it from cheese). The bacterium needs moist conditions, so the hard blue cheeses are ok, the soft ones and Brie-like one are not as there is a slight risk.

fattycow Thu 15-Jan-15 12:00:50

It is safe to eat cheeses made from pasteurized milk. It says so on the wrapping if it is made with pasteurized milk. And Philadelphia is cream cheese, not one made of raw milk.
Blue cheeses like gorgonzola are fine if they are from pasteurized milk.

knittingirl Thu 15-Jan-15 12:03:42

You can eat camembert if it's baked in the oven though (kills bacteria), but make sure it's really heated right through, then dip in lots of crusty bread.... mmm.....

MissTwister Thu 15-Jan-15 12:37:36

Just to clear this up as some consultants seem to be misinforming people. Definitive info from NHS link below.

Hard cheese - all okay inc blue
Mould ripened eg Brie - none okay even if pasteurised. Okay if cooked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now