Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Alternatives to Palmer's Cocoa Butter for Stretch Marks

(18 Posts)
ShanghaiDoll Wed 14-Jan-15 07:37:18

OK so slightly trivial but it's driving me bonkers!

I'm currently using Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks and whilst I love the texture, I cannot stand the chocolate smell (although I guess this is my fault and the clue is in the name!!). Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Also probably worth mentioning that I'm only 17 weeks along so no stretch marks yet but think I should probably be doing something to at least try and help myself.

Thanks in advance!

BikeRunSki Wed 14-Jan-15 07:39:24

Bio oil, but that has quite a sweet smell too.

ClariceBeanthatsme Wed 14-Jan-15 07:48:23

Burt's bees mama bee smells nice quite inoffensive smell!
I know what you mean about chocolate smells I cant even look at a chocolate bar without feeling sick

Meplusyouequals4 Wed 14-Jan-15 07:56:01

Normal baby oil. Is really good. Im on my 3rd pregnancy and only have a few small stretch marks round my belly button, and ive used normal baby oil or the baby oil spray (same thing just in a spray) for all 3 pregnancies. But put it on while your still wet from the shower/bath.

Zahrah5 Wed 14-Jan-15 07:56:41

You can just use any plant oil really, if you want you can add a bit essential oils in it such as lavender.
For example get a bottle of sweet almond oil or apricot or jojoba, really there are many possibities and these all dont smeel, are cheap and good for you, opposite to petrolatum based products marketed as cocoa butter-Palmers.
Bio oil ingrediences also make me stop in my tracks as to why someone will put that on their skin.

If you want pre-mixed pregnancy oils try Sanctuary spa-Mom to be stretch mark oil.

Meplusyouequals4 Wed 14-Jan-15 07:57:36

The baby oil gel is good but I didn't like the feel of it on my skin.

zannary Wed 14-Jan-15 08:28:54

I tried coco butter and after one application I couldn't stand the smell and stopped using it immediately.

I'm really paranoid about stretchmarks. I applied bio oil to my tummy, back and breasts months before we started trying (I know it's extreme!) problem with bio oil, it gets on everything as takes a while to dry.

I've been using mum to be, stretch mark cream. They recently had 1/3 off in boots so I stocked up. I apply every morning and night and so far so good, smells nice too. I'm 28+2 btw!

I know stretchmarks are supposedly hereditary so you're suppose to ask if your mum got them but I honestly think keeping your skin moisturised helps. skin marks a lot easier when it's dry.

Sonics Wed 14-Jan-15 08:31:46

I read that anything with aloe Vera in is good. I've been using a really cheap boots own brand aloe Vera body lotion and don't have any stretch marks (am 39 weeks tomorrow)

I also used the boots sanctuary mum to be lotion for a bit that I got as a gift

Having said that - someone told me that if you're going to get stretch marks you'll get them regardless of the amount of moisturising you do. Not sure how true this is but it hasn't stopped me slathering my belly every day just in case!

greenlizard Wed 14-Jan-15 09:42:35

I tried Palmers oil and like you hated the smell and only used it the once. I tried Bio-Oil but hated the smell of that too....so I have been using good old E45 lotion - non-perfumed, really moisturising and sinks in quickly. I get the big bottles and lather it on morning and night and when I can convince relentlessly badger DP to do it I get him to massage me with it too. grin

I don't know if it helps but I am 31 weeks and don't yet have a stretch mark yet and am quite big - mind you my mum and sisters didn't get stretch marks either so maybe it's a genetic thing. Makes my skin feel nice though smile

FantasticMrsFoxx Wed 14-Jan-15 10:40:38

I'm another one who prefers 'natural' where possible and I LOVE LOVE LOVE shea mooti stretch mark oil. It dries quickly and has a lovely lavender smell to help me relax before bedtime.
If you want more of a 'cream' texture, try the avedo oatmeal products or jergens.

Letmeeatcakecakecake Wed 14-Jan-15 11:36:05

I use avocado and sometimes coconut oil x

jmojo Wed 14-Jan-15 16:50:44

Grapeseed oil is one if ghe more easily absorbed natural ouls (it has a smaller molicule size) and you csn use it on the baby too. Far better than petrolium based johnsons products. I can't stand thr smell of anything right now so using burts bees unscented body lotion with vit e.

jmojo Wed 14-Jan-15 16:51:05

Oh my how many typos???

Chillyegg Wed 14-Jan-15 16:59:39

BIO OIL! It's absolutely brilliant! I have some really bad stretch marks that look like someone's drawn over me with a purple/black sharpie and it's done them wonders! I'm 27+3 and it's really sorting them! It's pricey but worth it

Marshpillow Wed 14-Jan-15 17:16:20

I received a few different creams and oils for Christmas from DM and MIL so I just use whichever one I pull out of the cupboard; I think if I'm going to get stretch marks then I'm going to get them, however a few people have said that keeping really well hydrated helps. I've always drank (drank? drunk?) loads of water ever before I was pregnant and I probably drink about 3-4 litres of water a day.

babymouse Wed 14-Jan-15 17:36:29

Anything! You can't prevent stretch marks. sad Just pick something you like.

smile

Seasidedolly Wed 14-Jan-15 17:40:19

I got a Champneys blissfull bump gift set from my mum for Christmas, its absolutely lovely. Its got stretch mark oil/ spray and then a body butter which you apply after. Not sure if these are available individually or just part of a set but I would highly recommend, the smell is lovely.

I'm 28 weeks and only have 2 small stretch marks right at the bottom of my bump so far, although I think stretch marks usually come right towards the end.

I also have Bio Oil which I add to baths.

bm1980 Fri 16-Jan-15 10:04:34

My mum bought me some Bodyshop coco butter body lotion for Christmas and it's lovely. It doesn't smell as strongly as Palmers, which I was using before, and I've no stretch marks yet! 25 weeks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: