Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

a little worried

(5 Posts)
Meplusyouequals4 Tue 13-Jan-15 21:26:42

Hi all...

I'm due to have a ELCS in 3 weeks. We already have 1 DD who is 5,she is a very excitable child loves being centre of attention. She is currently the only child and only grandchild. She is very much looking forward to her sister coming, she looking in the nursery every night, kisses my belly and says I love you to the baby.

After a discussion with DH tonight I'm now worrying how she might take it went the baby is actually here and she isn't centre of attention anymore. She is also very touchy feely and im worrying about her hurting the baby.

Any advice on how to handle it?

blackwidow74 Tue 13-Jan-15 21:31:14

I had ds2 with similar age gap and had no issues ... We bought gifts to exchange between them and asked family members to remember to fuss over the eldest before approaching baby and if they were bringing gifts to include him too ... It was all very smooth tbh and he was of an age where he understood how fragile babies are and that he could only hold him with one of us to help ... We also had a Big Brother card made so that he had one on the shelf amonget the others smile

Iwonderif Tue 13-Jan-15 21:33:41

Hello. My dd was 3 when ds arrived. She was the only grandchild on DH's side of the family at the time. She adjusted brilliantly. I too was concerned but because she's so loving she was over the moon. I still well up when I think of her little face when she came into the hospital room to meet him. It's natural to be concerned though. I did though speak to the grandparents/uncles and aunties and close friends and asked them to make a real over the top fuss of dd, which they were going to anyway so I needn't have even mentioned it. She's still now a very loving and caring big sister. HTH. All the very best. Xxx

Iwonderif Tue 13-Jan-15 21:38:38

Just remembered She had a new babyborn baby doll bought for her. She somehow knew not to be rough with him. Never attempted to pick him up though as we kept on explaining how small & delicate he was. She did kiss him loads n loads which was incredibly sweet. After a few weeks the novelty wore off and she started to just accept he was staying. Peppa Pig and Ben & Holly became very interesting once again for her! X

Meplusyouequals4 Tue 13-Jan-15 21:41:59

Thank you all. I think I will ask everyone to think of her as well as baby.

We have bought her a sister necklace to give to her off the baby when she is here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: