Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

4th c-section query after Gynae appt

(14 Posts)
Iwonderif Tue 13-Jan-15 16:27:17

Hi ladies

During a follow up gynae appt this morning (not pregnancy related) I asked the consultant about the possibility of another child. My youngest is 5 in June. it would be my 4th section. Lots to weigh up and think about. He was very nice and didn't say "are you serious?" but didn't say "yes of course" I'm not daft and I know the risks they tell you increase with each section so I'm just wondering if there are any moms about to embark on their 4th section or have had their fourth. Many thanks in advance. X

mummaofthreex Tue 13-Jan-15 18:56:54

I'm on my 4th c section, although haven't seen any consaltant yet, but have done some research and seems to be loads of women have had a 4th with no complications what so ever, good luck x

Iwonderif Tue 13-Jan-15 19:18:06

Thanks so much for replying. I know they have to tell you all the serious things. Very curious as to what other moms experiences are/were. X

Alyx80 Tue 13-Jan-15 21:53:08

I had my 4th section last week and so far it's been fine, had no problems and found it easier than my 3rd. I have been told not to have any more though and was offered sterilisation numerous times during my antenatal appointments.

Iwonderif Tue 13-Jan-15 22:55:49

Thank you Alyx80 for replying. I was due to see another consultant who knows me really well but he got called away from clinic so saw a different one. 2 years ago he asked me & DH if we wanted another (appt was not pg related) and both shook our heads very fast and said no, no, no!! Funny how things change. I also said at that appt that I didn't think you could have more than 3 sections. He said nonsense and that he's done 4&5 sections on women. He's been a gynae and ob's consultant for 25 years whereas chap I saw today is new to gynae.

Mexicantortilla Wed 14-Jan-15 01:59:47

I'm due my 4th in 4/5 weeks, I've had no problems with the 3 I've had so fingers crossed. I will let you know if the post is still around! The only thing I can say is that I feel my recovery and pain had been better/easier with each one, hope it holds true this time.

Iwonderif Wed 14-Jan-15 08:09:04

Thank you Mexicantortilla for posting your post. Much appreciate it. Hope the thread is still live when you've had your 4th as interested to see how you are feeling. I too seemed to recover much earlier with baby number 3 so I hope in your case you recover extremely well this time around. All the best. Thanks again. grin

impatienceisavirtue Wed 14-Jan-15 21:50:01

I've just been ok'ed by my consultant to try for a vaginal birth with this pregnancy... I've had three sections previously

Mexicantortilla Thu 15-Jan-15 10:42:08

Impatience wow!! How have you managed that?! I wanted VBAC last time and they wouldn't take the risk, so I didn't bother with the hassle of arguing this time, in fact when I did mention it the Dr laughed! Please let me know how why they've gone with this decision as I see consultant in 2 weeks and might try to convince him. I hope everything goes ok x

impatienceisavirtue Thu 15-Jan-15 22:48:31

I went through it all practically as to why I thought it was actually safer for me to vbac - very closely monitored and with a solid plan in place. The registrar was downright rude, she went to get the consultant to back her up who actually agreed with me and said I clearly knew what i was talking about grin

There is a group on facebook as well that deals with all the clinical facts and they are very pragmatic about discussing the medical ins and outs - I got a lot of good information to back my case up from there, and solid studies to show that the risks aren't anywhere near what they're made out to be in a good candidate. I will PM you details as most of the stuff that had my consultant nodding and agreeing with me I learned from there.

Mytholmroyd Thu 15-Jan-15 22:56:05

i had my 4th (and last) 6 years ago in my mid 40s and it was fine - in fact like Mexican - probably the best of the lot (2 emergencies and two electives with spinal block ) and the post op pain relief was infinitely better so i was up and about very quickly. no long term problems so far!

Iwonderif Tue 20-Jan-15 13:06:36

Thank you to each of you for replying. Good to read & very much appreciated. Xxx

Iwonderif Tue 20-Jan-15 13:08:12

Also to Impatience I'm amazed you've got the support from the consultant. Amazing to hear that but how positive for you. Will be thinking of you. Xxx

TaperJeanGirl Tue 20-Jan-15 13:10:24

I had my 4th section 14 months ago, (5th baby) and it went perfectly, much easier that the previous 3, they were very very careful and had extra equipment and blood on hand, but didn't need any of it, was out of hospital the next day, and recovered very fast, they did tell me getting pregnant again would be a very bad idea and did try to push sterilisation though...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: