Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Can you dye your hair whilst pregnant?

(14 Posts)
3rdbump Mon 12-Jan-15 17:03:37

as above - or shall i just wait till i have had the baby?!
Am 20 + 4 weeks and desperate for a bit of a pick me up - i want to go a bit darker but not sure if its safe to dye my hair whilst pregnant.
advice please
Thanks smile

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Mon 12-Jan-15 17:04:40

apparently you can.,ssl&ei=f_6zVMXzN4fZaojzgIgE

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Mon 12-Jan-15 17:05:03

sorry, that's the google search blush

I meant this one.

fortywinx Mon 12-Jan-15 17:08:37

I was told by my mw that it was fine. I did wait until after 12 weeks, and I use a semi-permanent turquoise colour which I guess might be considered less harsh than permanent colour!

PacificDogwood Mon 12-Jan-15 17:10:00

Yes., it's safe.

crazykat Mon 12-Jan-15 17:52:23

I think it's the ammonia in the dye that's the problem, usually in colours which lighten the natural haircolour. There are lots of ammonia free dyes that are fine to use in pregnancy.

FTRsGotAShinyNewNN Mon 12-Jan-15 17:58:22

I asked my hairdresser recently about high lights/ low lights and she said she couldn't do them until after baby is born because of the stripping stuff they put on first, which is the stuff the put on if you're trying to go lighter. I have been having a permanent colour put on every 10 weeks while I've been pregnant though (similar to natural shade, just a little darker) and she assures me it's fine

TallulahTwinkletoes Mon 12-Jan-15 18:04:00

I got my hair bleached in a salon every four weeks during pregnancy. It does no harm to you or baby BUT due to pregnancy hormones, the colour can take differently to normal so it's advised to go to a salon who could correct it/ensure it doesn't happen.

TheBooMonster Mon 12-Jan-15 20:23:52

yea, I've been dying mine as normal, just avoided it in the first trimester. Does make hairdressers a bit antsy though, took 4 hours to dye my hair last week...

Littlemissjt Mon 12-Jan-15 20:41:50

I went at 5/6 weeks and didn't tell hairdresser (she's a big gossipwink). My best friend is a midwife and said it was ok, just that it might not take as well as it normally would. I was getting highlights which she said was fine but said not to get all over colour on your scalp?

PacificDogwood Mon 12-Jan-15 21:15:06

Oh goodness, this question comes up so many times!

This refers to BFing, but the same is true for hair dyes

Here is what NHS Choices says on the subject

It is safe.
Your hair may react differently to dye though grin

professornangnang Mon 12-Jan-15 21:17:50

It's fine. I dyed my hair several times during pregnancy and it had no effect whatsoever!

mum2benicole Tue 13-Jan-15 09:41:27

Be careful with dying your hair im a hairdresser and have seen some bad reactions in women who are pregnant with changes to sensitivity and even reactions to the chemicals. Do a skin test before u dye it just incase.
Everyones different

LittlePeasMummy1 Tue 13-Jan-15 10:27:39

Here is a leaflet on use of hair dye in pregnancy. Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now