Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Folic Acid - taking it past 12 weeks?!

(11 Posts)
Mawee Mon 12-Jan-15 15:03:29

Does anyone know if there is anything harmful in taking Folic Acid past your 12 week mark?

I've just had a call from the doctors asking why I wanted a prescription for it at 28+5 weeks and I wasn't aware you don't take it past 12 weeks.

The doctors/hospital have been useless at appointments / advice as I've had a different midwife at every appointment.

Hopefully all is okay, but lady on phone just told me to stop taking them.

CherryLips1980 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:11:15

No idea, I had to take them all the way through with DD (born Nov '13), this time (am 26 weeks now), I was told to stop taking them at the 12 week scan/appointment.

DD was (is) fine.

skyra13 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:11:46

I am still taking mine it shouldn't cause you any problems I am 28 weeks and its in my multi vitamins I have carried on taking them when I remember smile

Beggy15 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:19:53

There's no use in taking it past 12 weeks most doctors will tell you to stop after 12 weeks.

Skeppers Mon 12-Jan-15 15:20:56

I had my first appointment with the MW this morning and discussed this very thing, funnily enough! She said that you can take it past 12 weeks, it won't do any harm, but the positive benefits only really apply to foetal spine development in the first 12 weeks so taking it beyond this period doesn't really achieve anything. But it's not harmful! smile

ToriB34 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:31:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mawee Mon 12-Jan-15 15:35:55

Sounds like I've not caused him any harm. Won't carry on with them.

Thanks for your help ladies :-)

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 12-Jan-15 15:37:06

I doubt it's harmful. I'll be 12 weeks in just over a week and will take them until the pot finishes else they'll go to waste!

WhyOWhyWouldYou Mon 12-Jan-15 15:39:08

Its not harmful and it is actually advised for certain groups of people to take it throughout pregnancy. There are benefits to taking later on but I'm not sure what they are (Dr gave me some reason when she told me to keep taking itit but I've forgotten now).

The first 12weeks are the really important time to take it though.

Beggy15 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:48:51

Not everyone has to take them can I just add for those saying 'it's very important' my doctor recommended that due to my anorexia I don't take them she said the chances are low of it affecting my baby but due to my weight I would have more chance of having a miscarriage if I took the folic acid supplements and recommended i just ate foods rich in folate

NickyEds Mon 12-Jan-15 16:02:06

In my area the mw give you 4 packs of supplements containing Vits C and D and folic acid at your booking in appointment, enough to last the entire pregnancy, so I'm sure they don't do any harm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now