Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anaesthetic Review Appointment

(4 Posts)
TheBooMonster Mon 12-Jan-15 11:20:04

Has anyone had an Anaesthetic Review during their pregnancy and what does it entail? I have this insane image of someone giving me an epidural and then stabbing me in the leg to see if I feel it but expect that's a bit of an extreme measure to take with a pregnant lady...

ladybunnikins Mon 12-Jan-15 12:16:54

I'm an anaesthetist and that's definitely not what we do at a clinic appointment! People are usually referred to us in pregnancy for things like BMI>40, spinal surgery, previous anaesthetic problems, drug abuse etc. Usually it's a chat about epidurals/spinals and an assessment of how easy it will be do a spinal/epidural/general anaesthetic or get IV access. Then we come up with an anaesthetic plan, should it be needed. Have a look at www.labourpains.com for information on epidurals and anaesthesia for caesareans.

TheBooMonster Mon 12-Jan-15 14:50:25

Thanks lady!

CherryLips1980 Mon 12-Jan-15 15:14:11

I had one last week - exactly as ladybunnikins says, was just a quick chat about the options available to me, questioned about my previous labour and drugs used (just G&A, DD was in a big hurry) and a quick look at my back and asked if I had any loose teeth or crowns.

Took about 15mins! He spent more time playing with DD!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now