Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone had the pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine while pregnant?

(5 Posts)
blankfornames Mon 12-Jan-15 10:08:03

Hi there,
I'm 34+4. I was very ill in hospital for a week over Christmas with pneumococcal pneumonia. I was on lots of antibiotics and the hospital has advised me to get the Flu vaccine as well as the pneumococcal pneumonia vaccine. They've been on the phone regularly since I was discharged to see if I've had it. My own GP is reluctant to give either to me seeing as I'm very close to the end and also I'm on maternity leave. NHS website say that it's only 50-70% and I really don't know what to do. Either way, I'm afraid of putting my baby at risk. Can anyone advise me or has anyone had the vaccine while pregnant? Thanks.

cathpip Mon 12-Jan-15 12:07:47

I would have it, but this is speaking as a mother who in march had dc3 and then 10 days later lost dc2 age 3 to pneumococcal pneumonia. You were clearly very ill, even if some of the vaccine crosses over to your baby and gives it some protection, it's better than nothing. My dd was not at nursery, had seen no friends, we have no idea how she got it but it killed her and it did it quickly. We all had precautionary antibiotics including newborn.

blankfornames Mon 12-Jan-15 12:37:30

Oh my gosh Cathpip. I am so, so sorry, that is absolutely heartbreaking. Your poor wee daughter. Thank you for your advice. Will definitely take it on board. I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. I hope you are doing ok.

cathpip Mon 12-Jan-15 15:10:46

We are functioning.... It's hard knowing what's the best for you and your baby. You just have to weigh up the side effects and obviously the 50-70%, it's the same with every vaccine when pregnant. Maybe the hospital are worried about your immune system, it probably is very vulnarable, more so than normal. I luckily know a dr as a friend, so we chat about these things, and yes I take all the vaccines offered and if they offered the pneumonia one I would take it. Hope everything goes well for the rest of your pregnancy.

blankfornames Mon 12-Jan-15 15:43:01

Ok. Thanks so much for your advice and I'm sorry again about the tough year you had.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now