Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nipple peircing and breast feeding

(14 Posts)
lolaloco Sun 11-Jan-15 17:53:05

Just a question really I had my nipple pierced when i was 18 have not had it in for about 6 years now but I get a white discharge from it sorry if tmi it does not smell or seem to be an infection.

When I squeeze it it come out one of the pierced holes and a milk hole I think. Does anyone els have this or had this problem?

Did it cause any problems in breast feeding?

Would be good to find anyone else's views on this.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-Jan-15 17:57:11

I didn't manage to bf effectively. However that was nothing to do with my.piercing.

in fact dd fed better from the pierced side.

I only lasted a 3 weeks though

mrscumberbatch Sun 11-Jan-15 18:02:22

I get this!!!!

I haven't BF'ed for at least 3 years now but I still get a build up in the old nipple hole.

It's different to the clabber that you sometimes find in other retired piercings.

It's almost like cheese.... A rubbery cheese like Gouda. (Is that graphic enough for everyone wink)

But yes, I think it's normal. Very annoying though!

lolaloco Sun 11-Jan-15 18:54:46

It is bloody annoying!!

Never gotten rid of it after 8 years but hoping to breast fees just hope it don't harm baby! smile

DixieNormas Sun 11-Jan-15 18:58:31

I took my nipple piercing out years ago, had no problem bf ds4 his 2 next month and the only problem I'm having is getting him to stop!

DixieNormas Sun 11-Jan-15 19:00:29

Used to have the problem with stuff coming out of it, same with my eyebrow but not for a few years

OhMjh Sun 11-Jan-15 19:30:23

I had mine done, took them out when I became pregnant and am now 6 weeks into motherhood and breastfeeding like a trooper! It should not affect feeding at all, so long as the piercing was done correctly.

Azquilith Sun 11-Jan-15 19:31:48

I took mine out when pregnant, got a bit of milk through the holes when feeding, fed fine for 18 months and now finished get a little discharge but not a problem.

Ihateparties Sun 11-Jan-15 19:36:07

Well this is an education. Mine has been out for 7 years and one side of the hole.. Or where the hole was gets the same stuff. Wonder what it is. Or possibly it's best not to wonder...

I have to assume, in retrospect, that it didn't harm the 3 babies I have bf since I took the piercing out.

Oops.

sbear22 Sun 11-Jan-15 21:30:53

it'll be sebum build up, best not feed that to baby. GL smile

mrscumberbatch Sun 11-Jan-15 23:01:13

Sebum build up is different I am sure. It's a different colour/texture from the weird nippley stuff.

I am a lady of many regrettable holes wink

LidlMermaid Sun 11-Jan-15 23:05:50

My nipple piercing rejected leaving a scar right across the centre of my nipple. Didn't affect breastfeeding at all. In fact that was DC's favoured side.

justjuanmorebeer Sun 11-Jan-15 23:18:27

My previous nipple piercing didn't affect breastfeeding in the slightest apart from that milk used to spurt out of three holes apart from one. Pretty funny.

I think the white stuff is keratin. I saw a doc about it last year as had the same discharge and wondered if it was leftover from breastfeeding (which I stopped in 2012). Doc said nothing at all to worry about.

lolaloco Mon 12-Jan-15 06:28:01

That's good to hear then, I dis ask midwife at the start she said go to doctor is worried but it shouldn't be a problem wasn't very helpful an didn't want me make a doctors appointment would feel like I am wasting there time! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now