Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is this normal late pregnancy or slow labour?

(6 Posts)
EmmaOt Sun 11-Jan-15 17:40:22

I'm 39+4 weeks with my first baby and for about 10 days or so every evening/night I get strong cramps (like period pains) across my whole bump but mostly low down. It doesn't come and go for a minute or so like I imagine braxton hicks do it just seems to stay there for 30mins/1hour/or longer or so throughout the evening/night. It feels like everything is stretched to its limit!

It's not particularly painful but it is pretty uncomfortable and I can't get comfortable whether I sit, stand or lie. Is this just normal stretching getting ready for birth? Because I'm so uncomfortable I'm not sleeping, I'm like a zombie when I get up in the morning!

Any thoughts/advice would be very welcome.

ocelot41 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:42:45

I got this for about a month before labour started. I kept thinking 'This is it!' And then it stopped again. I think it's just your body testing the systems are all ready to go! Good luckwink

FoulsomeAndMaggotwise Sun 11-Jan-15 22:45:11

Yes I got this for 3 weeks before DS arrived. The midwife said it was the cervix softening and everything just getting ready.

It's starting again now but I'm only 34 weeks! (Second pregnancy I mean.)

Good luck and keep us posted if you can!

EmmaOt Sun 11-Jan-15 22:55:19

Thanks ladies it's good to know its normal, but not liking the thought that I could have another couple of weeks of this!

maggotwise I hope that doesn't mean you've 6 weeks or more of it!

EmmaOt Tue 13-Jan-15 10:35:23

I'm now having cramps in the day and evening/night. I've become a hermit and just don't want to leave the house!

and feel like I need to poo yet every time I go to the bathroom I can't. I guess it's all just pressure on my bowels?

ocelot41 Tue 13-Jan-15 18:11:02

Hard to know where to put yourself isn't it? I do remember that bit. Think you are pretty safe just walking round your neighborhood but personally I didn't feel comfortable going much beyond it in case things kicked off.

Have you stocked you freezer with portion sized boxes of stuff that is easy to eat with a fork in one hand? Got more drink cartons and snack bars than you know what to do with positioned on easy to grab bags around the house? ( Babies take forever to feed at first and/or fall asleep on you so us good to have food and drink on hand). Got a zillion light DVDs you really want to watch? Have you downloaded some funny talking books into your iPods to keep you awake during night feeds? All good 'bits and bobs' to fill in that waiting time... Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: