Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help baby measuring 6 weeks not 7 and no heart beat on ultra sound

(6 Posts)
weemcgee Sun 11-Jan-15 13:33:25

Hi I have had 3 miscarriages since I had my wee girl who is now 3 and half. My husband suggested we go for an early scan to make sure everything is okay so he booked an appointment for a baby scan clinic on Saturday. I saw my midwife earlier on in the week who said because the first day of my last period was 18th November I am 7 weeks. I was surprised when I had my scan on Saturday that the baby measured 6 and half weeks and not 7 and half. Before I went in for the scan the boss of the clinic said we would be able to hear the heart beat. However, there was no heart beat. The girl doing the scan said she needed to get a second opinion. So her boss came in and took over. He said it depends on conception. I know I ovulated on 30th November because the ovulation test came up positive. Does anyone know if this could mean I am a week earlier? The clinic have booked me in for this Saturday again to see if the baby has grown. I am so upset and the vibes I got of the two doing my scan was not positive. The boss even started talking about someone he knew who had 13 miscarriages in a row and it just happens. It's going to be a long week but trying to stay positive. Has anyone else experienced this good or bad I would like to hear from you.

MagpieCursedTea Sun 11-Jan-15 13:58:48

No experience but didn't want to read and run so thought I'd bump the post for you.
Good luck for your next scan!

addictedtosugar Sun 11-Jan-15 14:44:46

I've had several early scans with all pregnancies.
At 6 weeks, a heartbeat is a possibility, but by no means a given.
Dating can also be out on both sides. OK, so you know when you ovulated, but not when egg met sperm. So you can easily be half a week different to your calculated dates.

Measurement of such a tiny baby on ultrasound can also be a little bit out - miss measure by a mm, and you completely change the dates.

DS1 didn't have a hb at just over 6 weeks.
DS2 didn't have a hb at 6+0.
Both pregnancies went to term.
DS2 also only grew by about 4 days in the 2 weeks between scans. I questioned it, and they remeasured, bringing him to where they would have expected.

Fingers crossed for you.

Forester Sun 11-Jan-15 14:59:52

Sorry you are going through this worry. I've had two mmc's since having my dd and currently am at a very nervous 9 weeks. I agree that you are on the borderline re heartbeat but from a practical point of view I would suggest you go to your local epu. My first mmc was discovered at a private scan but my hospital required a second scan to confirm (there was no doubt in my case as it was at 10 weeks). If it is bad news it is better for the hospital to tell you as they can also talk about next steps. ( Sorry if this is telling you what you already know - but not sure whether your previous mcs all ended naturally).

Fingers crossed that all is well.

weemcgee Sun 11-Jan-15 18:23:56

Thank you ladies for your replys, feeling a bit better. Praying it's the wrong dates and my little one is okay. As I said I am going back to the baby scan clinic on Saturday, praying the baby has got bigger & hopefully hear a heartbeat. I have a nhs appointment on the 20th so fingers crossed everything will turn out okay. My first miscarriage was a missed miscarriage and the other two happened naturally. Forrester good luck to you I hope this time we are both lucky. Thanks again ladies x

EssexMummy123 Sun 11-Jan-15 23:19:12

The early scans can be + or - a few days as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now