Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan one week tomorrow, petrified, please talk me down.

(4 Posts)
Pipbin Sun 11-Jan-15 12:54:53

Back story. IVF round three. First ever pregnancy. I had a scan at 7 weeks and the embie was small with a slow heartbeat. Scan at 8 weeks showed it had caught up and had a heartbeat of 155.

I'm terrified that I'm going to get to the 12 week scan next week and it will have died.

I know you can't tell me if it has or not but I just need someone to tell me to get a grip. The problem with googling is that you end up with nothing but horror stories.

MissTwister Sun 11-Jan-15 13:07:46

Hi Pipbin

These forums are great for loads of things. What they're not great for is the amount of worry they can cause due to hearing so many terrible sad stories. I was terrified before my 11 week scan last week and was almost thinking like I had a 50/50 chance of an alive baby rather than the c.97% after hearing a heartbeat at an earlier scan. All was fine so far with me and because you're baby was healthy and good at 8 weeks then it it very very very likely it still is now.

You have to remember people that have had heartache need to talk about it and places like this are the natural places to do so. But that means they're also disproportionate. The vast majority of women get pregnant and have happy healthy pregnancies.

Good luck and stay calm!

Teeste Sun 11-Jan-15 13:11:37

Congrats! A heartbeat at 8 weeks reduces your odds of miscarriage to around 2%. Remember that most people posting on t'internet about problems are the ones with problems - the vast majority of women with perfectly healthy and fine pregnancies don't post about them, so your googlified view is skewed. I have to remind myself all the time about this after a MC with my last pregnancy. Of course you're worried, it's only natural. Don't beat yourself up about it, take a deep breath and enjoy what you can. Have a nice decaf brew smile

Pipbin Sun 11-Jan-15 13:30:51

Thank you ladies. You are quite right. The women who get through pregnancies without any problems don't talk about it nearly as much as those who do.
It's like reading the pet threads. To read that you'd think all that ever happened to cats and dogs was illness, accidents and death. No one posts 'my cat is lovely again today, that is all'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now