Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hen weekend at 33/34 weeks preg

(15 Posts)
prevlurker123 Sat 10-Jan-15 22:59:41

Looking for some advice from those who have been 33/34 weeks preg before....i am a ftm so never been that far along. I have been invited to a hen weekend at that point in my pregnancy and dont know what to do. It will involve at least 2 nights in a hotel, and a 1.5 hr flight (+ more public transport on landing) or a 5 hr train trip. Standard hen type activity during day then dinner drinks dancing at night.

Not too bothered on potentially missing activity if its not preggo friendly but more worried about general exhaustion, stress of being away and other pregnancy problems likely at that stage, even just things like weeing more frequently and feeling huge and cumbersome. Debating taking dh with me in case of any issue or labour! But obviously that is extra cost for both of us....

Any advice?! Pregnancy been ok so far but suffereing from usual ftm nerves and worrying.

Need to commit soon to confirm with organiser soon and confirm travel etc. This is hen of a very good friend so would be big decision not to go.

superram Sat 10-Jan-15 23:02:28

Not a chance. Some airlines won't let you fly,it will be uncomfortable and you will want to go home early. Save your money and have a relaxing day post baby with the hen after the wedding.

BlinkingHeck Sat 10-Jan-15 23:04:35

No I wouldn't have gone.
In fact I turned down my friends 30th away in Dublin mid Jan, my baby was due beginning of March (so similar timings).
I just wouldn't want to fly.

prevlurker123 Sat 10-Jan-15 23:22:24

Thanks for your replies. Option to get the train is there too but it obviously takes much longer sad

123rd Sat 10-Jan-15 23:24:06

I wouldn't go. You will very likely be knackered from the travel. Is there a more local do you can attend ?

m33r Sat 10-Jan-15 23:30:35

I'm ftm too and 30+2. Up until Friday I have had a really easy pregnancy (aside from usual anxiety) but since Friday I have understood what others have meant by 'unconfortable' and it is ridiculous. If I eat, my body starts to behave like I'm going to have diarreah (sp?) and be sick. I get goosebumps all over my body. After it passes, I get starving so need to eat again. That's aside from the constipation, uncontrollable wind, general tiredness. I'm not saying don't go but out of nowhere I've become pretty bad and I couldnmt be away from home (certainly not a train or plane). Good luck whatever you decide.

prevlurker123 Sun 11-Jan-15 00:06:01

M33r, I think its all that kinda stuff im worried about. Althogh had a good pregnancy so far in terms of what some people go through, I have had really bad tiredness and a pretty unpredictable stomach (in about every way!) along with infections and other weird ailments!

YonicSleighdriver Sun 11-Jan-15 00:12:11

Say no, I think. Can you see the friend separately beforehand?

ShootTheMoon Sun 11-Jan-15 09:31:30

Well, airlines will only let you fly with a letter from your GP at that stage (~30-35 weeks), which can make life a bit difficult, and you'll need extra insurance.

I did a major work trip at 30 weeks which was a flight and then very long, busy, stressful working days. It went ok, but I had a bleed the day before I went (a Sunday) and spent much of the day on a monitor. It was fine in the end, but I was so knackered on the way home that I cried in the airport when the flight was delayed, and even though I was visibly pregnant and knackered, I had to queue forever on my feet, my bump was throughly patted down, and it was generally awful.

Also at that stage you tend to want to be thinking about getting things ready and the stuff you need for the baby. I just think you may resent being away for something you can't really take part in fully!

And I know plenty of babies which arrived at 33-35 weeks, always worth thinking about!

m33r Sun 11-Jan-15 09:52:39

If you didn't go, can you arrange a dinner with the bride before hand and take table confetti and other little thoughtful things so that you can have a two person hen? You could also - if it's not stepping on the toes of the main event - do a 'how well does he know you? Quiz - and other things that shows you're making the effort but just travelling is too much?

sallygib Sun 11-Jan-15 10:00:45

I was bridesmaid at 36 weeks and had the hen at 33. Both occasions involved a three hour train journey plus public transport, lots of dressing up and chaos etc. I'm glad I went for my good friend to share her big days however as you've touched upon the events weren't very Preggo-friendly, understandably as I was the only Preggo one there and it's an unexpected pregnancy, which meant that my memories aren't truly of enjoying myself. Tbh the hassle of travel was what was worrying me but that wasn't an issue and You worry then just get on with it. However, Hours of sitting around uncomfortably feeling out of place whilst everyone else had a whale of a time and constantly feeling like I was causing more hassle are my lasting memories. Sorry to sound so pessimistic and it was fun for a while but just to warn it will probably feel like an endurance task At times!

JennyBlueWren Sun 11-Jan-15 10:15:18

I'm at 34 weeks and feel I could do a 5 hour train journey (prefer trains to planes anyway) and enjoy a weekend away with friends. BUT I wouldn't be up for late nights and would struggle to keep up with busyness. I've also begun to feel quite anti-social, like I just want to be by myself rather than with other people much (guessing that's a pregnancy thing).

prevlurker123 Sun 11-Jan-15 10:22:11

Thanks so much for your replies. I think these are exactly what I am thinking deep down. I have been thinking it will be ok to go as I was in more early pregnancy but now I am beginning to get nearer and bump getting bigger and bigger I am seeing it as more difficult. I am just so desparate to go I think I was in denial....ah well. Just one of those things I suppose sad

peppapigonaloop Sun 11-Jan-15 11:50:11

If you are desperate to go then do! I'm on my third, and am 32 wks now..would pick the train over the plane (mainly as the idea of five hours on my own is heavenly!) and would bow out of any activities I felt too much/I was too tired for..
If your friends are good friends they will understand you leaving to go back to hotel early..
In my personal experience I would be fine to do it, obvs everyone different but if your pregnancy has mostly been fairly easy you should be ok!

Happilymarried155 Sun 11-Jan-15 12:21:33

I just did a 5 hour car journey and three nights away for a friends birthday at 35 weeks pregnant and I'm so glad I did. Yes I was tired, but it was lovely to have a few days away and spend some time with friends before the madness of baby arrives. I was tired when I got back but if you haven't had any complications and are feeling generally well I'd say go for it. Sounds like I'm in the minority though! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now