Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

positive birth stories please

(13 Posts)
Naomip88 Sat 10-Jan-15 22:38:18

im 38 weeks and feeling quite anxious, I'm excited but it's all just so unknown that some nice stories would help!

BlueChampagne Sat 10-Jan-15 22:50:11

DS1 straightforward hospital birth in pool. 12 hours start to finish (me 38)
DS2 unexpected home birth, 3 hours start to finish me age 40!

Now 5 and 7.

LoafersOrLouboutins Sat 10-Jan-15 22:53:11

Not to be smug but I have had two ideal births grin (although I'm now pregnant with DC3 so who knows whether my luck will continue..).

DD1: 3 days overdue. Back pain and generally feeling different (can't explain it, kind of like when you know you're going to come on your period) all day. Had a bath at 10pm and my waters broke at 10:48pm. I didn't sleep that night but stayed at home on my birthing ball and in an all fours position until 5am when I went to the hospital. I didn't have any pain relief but used lavender oil and water (I sniffed them). LOTS of baths. DD1 was born at 9:22am in a kind of squatting position. I didn't need stitches.

DD2: 5 days overdue. Waters broke at 10am-ish and I stayed at home until 4pm. Again, lots of lavender water to sniff and lavender oil back rubs. Positive affirmations and a view that with each contraction I was closer to my baby (yes, I sound like a hippie). I delivered in water and DD2 was born at 1:43am. Again, I didn't need stitches.

I really hope I have the same luck for DD3 but that would be some kind of miracle! I was TERRIFIED of giving birth to DD1 but it was fine, although everybody has different experiences.

LoafersOrLouboutins Sat 10-Jan-15 22:54:05

I was 27 (dd1) and 30 (dd2).

Clueing4looks Sat 10-Jan-15 22:56:00

Dd 8 hrs textbook labour, in hospital overnight.
Ds 30 minutes labour, no pain relief, was 10 cm when got to hospital! Home and cooking tea same night. I loved both my pregnancies and labours, was the easiest part of being a mother!

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Sat 10-Jan-15 22:56:38

Both of mine were straightforwards and normal. No intervention and no pain relief needed.
I gave birth to DS in the birthing pool in the dark, it was lovely, i was so relaxed i couldnt believe how easy it was. The midwife had a torch smile
It does hurt but it's not continuous, you do get a break from the contractions and I think people forget that.
The birth is NOT the hard bit of parenting, believe me!! Just wait until they give you the baby all wrapped up like a burrito and tell you to go home!

ecofreckle Sat 10-Jan-15 22:58:35

I was 38 when I had my daughter. I suffered terrible anxiety about birth during those last few weeks. I had a lovely home birth (albeit a long one) at 42 plus 6 and I felt pretty calm throughout. Ina may gaskin wrote a lovely book that includes loads of lovely positive stories. I hope you feel more confident as you get nearer.

Locketjuice Sat 10-Jan-15 23:04:01

Woke up with a mild back ache at 1 called mum because I couldn't sleep,water dribbled out a tiny bit whilst I was on the phone (wasn't sure if I had peed) called the midwife she said come down and get seen, contractions weren't too bad, I was still on favebook chatting away to the other pregnant mums, got to hospital at 3.30 had her at 4.12, wasn't painful just lots of pressure, had a shower and was home for around 8, got sorted out at home and went and done the tesco shop grin loved her birth!

footallsock Sat 10-Jan-15 23:05:10

Whatever happens it won't last long and your baby will be here. Focus on that grin

Naomip88 Sat 10-Jan-15 23:21:13

great stories and advice! Thank you all so much, I'm convinced that the more relaxed I am the easier it will be so trying to think really positively and listening to lots of hypno birthing cds.

joeschmoesmum Sun 11-Jan-15 07:42:48

I had a straightforward first birth, after a very difficult and anxious ridden pg. I felt relaxed and supported by all the professionals involved and was v happy to have DH there.
It might have helped that I had had a romantic night away with DH (and without DS1) At a hotel the night before, but was generally relaxed and loved up. Waters broke at 2:30, got to hospital at 3:45 with contractions every minute, lasting a minute (it all ramped up pretty quickly from no contractions to every 3 mins, to every minute). Very intense pain and I begged for drugs but couldn't have any (no gas and air where I live). In the end the anesthetist, who is a friend of mine agreed to giving me paracetamol (!!)
I pushed 5 times and out came baby at just after 7. I am still amazed that my body, albeit not being so good at being pregnant, was so efficient in labour and is doing ok with breastfeeding so far. Btw that was only on Monday, at 36w4d.

ChatEnOeuf Sun 11-Jan-15 08:39:48

Very straightforward, 37+ weeks. Woke up with a bit of backache, pitched up to hospital four hours later, 9cms. Moved to labour ward, 40 minutes later DD was there and crying. Quick wipe down, skin to skin and breastfeeding - lovely.

ViperActive Sun 11-Jan-15 08:47:35

I was induced at 40+12 and went straight on the drip, had all pain relief going grin and had a whale of a time! Well ok it was uncomfortable but I was relaxed and at some points was having jokes with midwife and doctors. I had normal delivery after 6 hours labour. My point is even if birth isn't how you expect or want it to be it can still be enjoyable. I was relaxed and looking forward to getting that baby out! meeting my precious first born wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now