Talk

Advanced search

Maternity ( and baby) bag preparation

(8 Posts)
Way2Tired Sat 10-Jan-15 15:17:03

Hi

Need a bit of advice for what do you take with you when you go to the hospital for the birth of the little one. I have been reading lists after lists, so I have some idea of the basics, I'm more interested what did mums who went trough this found useful.. also, how do you know what the right size of nappies would be before you actually see the baby ? I keep dreaming he either comes out too big or too small and I have nothing with me to fit him blushblushblush

JennyBlueWren Sat 10-Jan-15 15:38:37

The "official" list from my midwife:

For mum:
Most importantly remember to take your notes!
Toilet bag (including lip balm and spray pump)
nightdresses
Dressing gown
Slippers
Good supporting bra/breast-feeding bra
Breast pads
Pants
Sanitary Pads
Set of own clothes
List of relevant phone numbers
paper tissues
music (ipod/cd player in most rooms)
Towel

For baby:
nappies
Baby clothes for stay and discharge (babygros, vests, scratch mitts, beanie hats)
Cotton wool balls
Towel
Car Seat

Way2Tired Sat 10-Jan-15 15:43:33

Thank you Jenny. WHat size of nappies have you used?

Sonics Sat 10-Jan-15 16:00:07

I found this thread really helpful when packing my bag:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2234243-Hospital-bag-What-was-useful-what-wasnt-so-useful

Artandco Sat 10-Jan-15 16:10:17

Newborn nappies are fine

Remember the hospital does actually have supplies, just not enough for everyone to have all the time. So if you take newborn babygrow/ nappies etc and you baby is much smaller or larger than expected they will give you their supplies until you leave/ or someone else brings alternative in. Sam equity maternity pads etc, you should take in but if someone didn't or you ran out of course they would give some.

So take the basics, but don't worry about the amounts. They don't expect you to take more than average. Ie when ds2 was born the mother next to me was panicking baby had been sick on last change of clothes. She had taken in x5 changes though but baby was sick/ diarrhoea etc all in a few hours so had gone through x5 in say 6 hours. The nurse brought spares happily whilst her dh took dirty ones home and brought in new a few hours later

TinyMonkey Sat 10-Jan-15 19:46:56

I didn't bother with breast pads, your milk doesn't usually come in for a few days.

I did take a small bottle with some olive oil in to help clean off the first meconium poos, wipes just aren't up to the job!

Big pants, maternity pads are huge (plus, take more pads than you think you'll need).

Snacks for you and dp.

Sports bottle/drinking straws for easy refreshment during labour.

Hairbands.

Flip flops for the showers.

Moist toilet tissues.

ch1134 Sat 10-Jan-15 21:18:02

You don't need much but do need some stuff. I was an idiot and thought I didn't need to pack, I could do that 'when I first felt twinges'. Ended up going into hospital in my painting and decorating trousers! So...

Nice black pj bottoms for hanging out in afterwards (there will be blood).
Maternity pads (normal sanitary towels are not enough!)
Painkillers (for afterwards, never thought that the pain would last beyond labour and the hospital gave me nothing!)
A sports bottle (much easier to drink from when completely distracted by pain).
Snacks - dried fruit/ cereal bars/ tangerines/ whatever you like + food for the dad. Mine was with me 24/7 and the labour took 2 nights - he didn't eat for days!
A couple of stretchy cheap nighties for the labour process (be prepared to throw out).
Bikini for the birthing pool.
Shower gel, shampoo, comb, toothbrush, deoderant, moisturiser.
A couple of changes of clothes and underwear.
Cheap stretchy bras from Peacocks are good for sleeping/ feeding in.

3 x vests for baby
3 x babygros
2 x hats in different sizes
one pack of nappies
roll or pleats of cotton wool

camera
mobile phone and charger
Directions to the hospital (I was transferred from birthing centre and never bothered to find out where the hospital was - I went in an ambulance, my husband had to find his way).

Way2Tired Sun 11-Jan-15 01:03:39

thank you for all the help and suggestions. I think I finally came up with one list so I will be ready. I am so anxious hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now