Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Best sling to buy

(14 Posts)
Chillyegg Sat 10-Jan-15 10:24:50

What's recommended lady's? And where would one procure one from.

bagofsnakes Sat 10-Jan-15 14:12:36

We're big on baby wearing around here and have most types. Here is what we found to be best.

A mei tai baby carrier was the most versatile as it it was the only one suitable for a small newborn (DS was only 6lbs when he came home from the hospital and most carriers aren't safe for babies under 8lbs) and I was still using it when he was 18 months and many people use them for longer. We hand a BabyHawk brand (purchased second hand) and it was brilliant but there are lots of other brands out there. We've just dug it out in preparation for DC2 and I'm excited to use it again.

A pouch style carrier (we had a Peanut Shell) was the best for around the house (two hands free!), and my DH particularly liked it, but I only used it for short trips outside of the house and it really didn't work for our baby until he was a couple of months old, probably because of his small size.

The Ergo we have did get an awful lot of use and it was certainly best for full days trips out. On a trip to Paris I carried DS around for 8 hours one day and 6 hours the next and I didn't have a spot of back pain - legs bloody hurt though! He was about 9 months old at the time. Again it was unusable until he was 3 months old but I used it regularly until he was 2 years old. We did have an infant insert but I didn't feel that he was ever in a safe position in it and many people seem to feel the same way.

Now we have a ring sling but as DS is 2.7 so he doesn't need to use it much at all. I am looking forward to using it with DC2 though.

We also have a Moby wrap but apart from plane travel, we didn't use it nearly as much as the others. I didn't feel that DS was massively stable in it as I was endlessly adjusting it.

Most bands have videos on their websites so you can see people putting them on and using them to get a better idea of what you might like/what might be best for your needs.

bagofsnakes Sat 10-Jan-15 14:13:35

As for where to get one, check out Gumtree or eBay when you've worked out the style/brand you'd like.

startwig1982 Sat 10-Jan-15 14:15:09

We have a Kari me which is great for little ones but I used it less as ds got older.

MincePieDiet Sat 10-Jan-15 14:20:30

I had a Mei tai sling bought from a place called sasa slings. No idea if they are still going though.

Artandco Sat 10-Jan-15 16:51:26

Boba 4g. Is soft structured and can use from Newborn to toddler

bagofsnakes Sat 10-Jan-15 16:57:01

Another thought, you might have a sling meet-up or sling library near you meaning that you go get a proper look at some close up before buying. Then you could also take your new baby along and try some out.

ShootTheMoon Sat 10-Jan-15 18:44:46

Yes, it is worth trying them!

I have tried most styles - I like a woven, size six with a newborn and a size four for back carries with older babies. I have at least 5.

Both DH and I liked the Ergo for convenience. You must only buy from an authorised retailer though as there are so many fakes out there, esp on eBay and Amazon - they are not safety tested, have poor stitching and potentially toxic dyes.

I like Wovens mostly but a hybrid stretchy like a JMPBB or Wrapsody is a very good place to start - a bit easier to wrap to begin with but last longer than Kari Me or Moby (a bit too bouncy after about 6 months).

JennyBlueWren Sat 10-Jan-15 19:08:37

I'm also trying to choose at the moment. So many variations and no sling library or anything that I can find near me. Haven't found any to buy cheaply and try from our local secondhand baby shop either.

curlykale Sat 10-Jan-15 23:43:38

Lots of groups on Facebook where people sell second hand (and new) slings/wraps/carriers. Generally very good condition and you can also ask advice there-people are happy to help. Try Babywearing FSOT for one. But yes, sling library is your best bet - everyone has their preference so it's best to try before you buy.

Hophop987 Sun 11-Jan-15 04:00:31

Second Boba 4g. My DD is nearly 2 and I'm still using it

RumAppleGinger Sun 11-Jan-15 04:42:32

I bought a Close Caboo from eBay and adore it, as does 7 week old DS.

Tranquilitybaby Sun 11-Jan-15 07:34:20

A stretchy sling like a Moby is good for newborns, hits light and baby can be put in a good posotion easily to breastfeed if needed.

As they get older something like a Connecta or Ergo is ideal, more structured than a Moby.

Tranquilitybaby Sun 11-Jan-15 07:34:35

*its light

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now