Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Where to buy baby clothes?

(32 Posts)
sleepybee Sat 10-Jan-15 07:52:21

Hey I'm a first timer, no young kids in my family etc & I'm starting to buy some bits for when baby arrives in May. I know I don't need to buy tons of clothes. But everywhere I look I really don't find many of the clothes appealing. I not keen on things with ears attached. We are team yellow so needs to be gender neutral for now. I'm in the uk I've looked at debenhams, M&S, mother care, tesco, mamas&papas, monsoon, John Lewis. I've only bought 2 sleep suits from M&S.

Any recommendations for baby clothes stores even online only?

moggle Sat 10-Jan-15 07:57:49

JoJo maman Bebe, frugi, polarn y pyret are all nice and good gender neutral choice but pricy esp considering how quick they grow out of newborn. H&M is good esp their footed leggings if you want a change from sleepsuit a. I've bought stuff from vertbaudet and pumpkin patch for DD. We didn't find out the sex either; I slowly collected bits from various shops over the second half of the pregnancy. DD was born in November so I bought a snowsuit on eBay. I was given a lot of second hand stuff as well though.

tryingtocatchthewind Sat 10-Jan-15 08:00:47

I found boots had some lovely lemon and grey things with very delicate cloud patterns. I agree with you about cartoons/slogans/ears.

Just buy a few bits then wait till he/she is born

afreshstartplease Sat 10-Jan-15 08:00:50

Next

bonzo77 Sat 10-Jan-15 08:00:53

What's your budget? When is the baby due?
Some people just keep their new borns in baby grows and vests. Others like to dress them up a bit more. We really just used plain baby grows (sleep suits) and vests (body suits) from mothercare initially. Plain white so you can bleach the poo out. Once I got sick of them I got some slightly fancier sleep suits. Some from John Lewis / mothercare, and the odd one from independent shops. Mine stayed in all in ones pretty much till 12 months. I got a few "proper clothes" from gap and h&m. Actually gap do really cute all in ones which we used in the day time, saving the stained / faded sleepsuits for bed time.

Slongette Sat 10-Jan-15 08:22:56

Next is good for sleepsuits and vests - they are a good size and have some good gender neutral stuff that (thus is the important thing) washes well!

porlan y Pyret is very good but expensive - they have a sale in at the moment so is worth a look.

John Lewis and M&S are good also.

I found mothercare stuff a little thin and scratchy!

When is baby due? To begin with all you'll need is vests and sleepsuits. Plain white vests as a pp said so you can Napisan the poo/vomit out! I did not dress my DS in anything else until he was about 6 months. You can always buy more gender specific stuff when baby has arrived!

Then like bonzo77 I now mostly shop in gap, h&m and M&S.

Good luck!

Lagoonablue Sat 10-Jan-15 08:26:57

Agree that vests and sleep suits are the main thing you need and you can get tons of them anywhere. When they can't sit up I would imagine dresses etc would just be uncomfortable. I kept mine in sleep suits and then leggings and t shirts until they were mobile. Nice and comfy.

Next do nice colours and Polarn O Pyret are good. Don't spend too much though as they grow so quickly.

MooseyMoo Sat 10-Jan-15 08:33:52

I liked Next as their sleep suits had integrated mitts (DS was a face scratcher in his sleep). These are lovely neutral www.next.co.uk/boys/newborn-boys/unisex/3

Mothercare also do integrated scratch mitts. I bought body suits from Sainsburys or Tesco after they outgrew the unisex stuff. Sainsburys regularly do 25% off TU clothing.

Zahrah5 Sat 10-Jan-15 08:34:15

I found the cutest things in Next.
But honestly to tell you for gender neutral stuff the selection is quite poor. Waste majority is gender-specific.
Maybe just buy basics now and more after baby comes?

Wonkyparsnip Sat 10-Jan-15 08:42:37

I love h&m stuff. Cheap and perky good quality. Then I use jojo maman bebe if I want something more significant. If you're buying go for 3-6 months stuff as you get so much when the baby is born.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Sat 10-Jan-15 08:51:22

I also liked Next for the built in mittens and the fabric seemed better quality than other places. We didn't know the sex either but mainly just bought plain white vests/sleepsuits for the first few weeks. I knew other people would buy us clothes as soon as the baby was born. Now expecting DC2 and I'm glad I have lots of white things put away for the early days!

mrsnec Sat 10-Jan-15 08:56:17

I was given loads and found that dd doesn't like any of the really fussy stuff. She's 3 months and is just in vests and sleepsuits with cardigans when it's cold.

Size wise and design wise I love the BlueZoo range from Debenhams and the multipacks from Jl with the turnover scratch mitts however, bit disappointed with the quality of both. One of the Jl ones dd put her toe through on its first outing! I have stuff from Asda and tesco that's better quality!

I have some nice seperates too from m and s. Like a little tracksuit with a matching bib, but even with a vest on she gets cold when the top rides up and then I have to put tights under because socks won't stay on so it's a faff when changing.so she's going to be in sleepsuits and vests for a while!

The white mothercare stuff I have didn't wash very well.

Incidentally, I initially wanted to go neutral. The white stuff didn't wash well and I got a bit fed up with lurid unisex ones so now dd does wear quite girly stuff. I got a bit fed up of the 'what is it' questions!

I also had some lovely rompers from Sergeant Major in France and bought a couple of bits from Boden but I don't think you can go wrong with anything from the UK supermarkets and even places like peacocks and primark.

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 10-Jan-15 08:59:24

Next, Tu at Sainsbury's, M&S - all nice quality.

ILiveOnABuildsite Sat 10-Jan-15 09:03:43

Agree with Next, they have a nice gender neutral range, and it does washes/tumble dry very well and remains nice and soft and keeps it's shape well. 95% of my daughters wardrobe us from next the rest is either gifts or from Tu (Sainsbury's). Expecting ds in April and will be looking at Next and Sainsbury's for clothes.

moggle Sat 10-Jan-15 09:03:48

Oh yes boots! Just yesterday I bought a ton of lovely bright stuff for DD in their sale, their clothes are lovely. But still mostly gendered - but just not all pink for girls and brown/navy for boys like a lot of places. I agree with buying basics now and more once baby's here- plus you'll probably be given a lot as presents.
I have to admit we haven't had too many stains that haven't come out in then wash; I bought all vests from supermarkets v cheap and have just thrown a couple away rather than bother with bleaching.

Purpleflamingos Sat 10-Jan-15 09:04:18

Tu at sainsburys, debenhams.
I struggled to find green sleep suits. A colleague bought me one. Most of the time the babies were in white vests or babygros until 4/5 months. Their cardigans had colour though.

Crownjewel Sat 10-Jan-15 09:05:28

George at Asda do some lovely neutral stuff that washes really well. Agree with PPs re vests and sleep suits - DS has one or two proper "outfits" for special occasions but is happiest in his comfies! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy smile

MaryWestmacott Sat 10-Jan-15 09:08:33

OP - if yours if the first baby in the family, you might well get shed loads of gifts when the baby arrives - I did and some of it was only worn in order to take a photo to send to the person who bought it, there was just too much to get through!

I'd say to start with you need 7X sleep suits and 7x vests - get both in white and cheap - new baby poo stains and they grow very quickly! Also 2 cardigans (again, I'd just get white). If you are due when it's likely to still be cold, a coat or snow suit, and a couple of hats.

Oddly, I've found the best washing and lasting sleepsuits were from Sainsburys, get a pack for newborn size and a pack for 0-3 months (which is really 1-3 months for most babies, although you might get a big one who's in them earlier!). M&S are very big compared to pretty much everywhere else on the high street, but also do wash well, they just seem to add patterns to everything.

for outfits, again, Sainsburys is very good quality. M&S, JoJo Maman Babe and Next are also good, agree that most of the stuff I got from Mothercare didn't wash very well, most looked a bit ropy after only 1 wear and wash sad . I also found lots of older family members sent Mothercare vouchers so I did end up with lots of clothes from there. However, I believe they changed owners/management last year, so things might have improved... (DC2 is 18 months so I've not shopped in there since spending the last load of gift vouchers I was given after she was born)

MaryWestmacott Sat 10-Jan-15 09:09:31

oh Boots, how could I forget boots!?! Join the parent club too. The clothes are nice.

MaryWestmacott Sat 10-Jan-15 09:10:05

(Also wish we had an Asda in our town, everyone always raves about the clothes on here!)

OneFlewOverTheMumsNest Sat 10-Jan-15 09:11:53

I'd also say don't buy too much from one shop prior to birth as the sizes vary wildly and you won't know what suits your baby. If you have a chunky monkey (91st centile height and weight) like DD was (she was also in reusables so had an enormo-bum as well) then I found h&m, next, tesco and sainsburys were the best. M&S also alright. Gap I loved but she got limited wear from them and I could barely squeeze her into boots things.

We didn't find out the sex when pregnant with DD so bought a selection of gender neutral items which will come in handy this time round. Even after she was born we didn't buy anything that was overtly girly as we aren't into the whole pink/little princess thing but looking back I'm surprised how much has a feminine styling about it so it's very hard to go truly gender neutral longer term.

bigfam Sat 10-Jan-15 09:22:15

I agree asda's is good too x

afreshstartplease Sat 10-Jan-15 09:27:37

I'm not keen on asda, I find there things don't wash well

bagofsnakes Sat 10-Jan-15 09:32:30

Personally I'm al about finding great quality stuff from the likes of JoJo Maman Bebe, Frugi, John Lewis, Polarn y Pyret etc from eBay and Gumtree. I've got some great hardly worn bargins for my DS and the soon to arrive DC2 for a fraction of the cost of new things and they'll last for as many children as I have.
I do also like H&M but the stuff I got in for DS isn't in the best condition to hand down to another baby.

Wormatthebottomofthegarden Sat 10-Jan-15 09:40:10

Next have some good neutral stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now