Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Elcs brought forward due to IUGR

(7 Posts)
PassTheAnswers Sat 10-Jan-15 03:38:08

Only by a few days but still rather shitting bricks that's it's all going to get a bit real. Will be 38+5 so still term but my pct hate doing elcs before 39 so made a bit of fuss about it.

Mw referred for a growth scan based on 3 of her consecutive measurements being small and no fh growth in the last month. She was fairly blasé about it saying she didn't find fh measurements useful and was most likely due to engaging.

Growth scan yesterday and dc is tiny to where they should be. At the bottom/ off the charts for all measurements inc efw. Plotted against my personalised chart they appear to have stopped growing at 32-34 weeks. Had first of steroid injections for lungs yesterday and the second dose scheduled for later today. Boy they stung like a bitch.

I made the mistake of googling it and potential complications. Am now awake for the second night on the trot after only having had 1-2 hrs sleep and it's looking unlikely at getting back to sleep.

Someone please shake me and tell me it'll be fine and the measurements are notoriously off ( they were with dc1) and a 5lber at 38+5 has everything going for them? Alternatively what realistically should I expect come Monday and the elcs?

bigfam Sat 10-Jan-15 09:46:40

I can't really help with most of ur worries but with all of my previous pregnancies when I was 37+weeks i always measured 34, I'd get to 34 weeks and it seemed as if I stopped growing, sent for growth scans tho and that's where the similarities end as they were all estimated to be Ok sizes. Always had small bumps so everytime my waters broke everyone would estimate I'd have small babies but they never were, just hid them well! My 3rd weighed the least at 6lbs13oz even tho I carried longer than the previous two aswell. Anyway good luck, try not to worry too much! They may weigh a little less but lung development etc will be good by then x

Phantomteadrinker Sat 10-Jan-15 10:04:50

Hi op, my sister has just been through the same thing and needed a cs due to poor growth, like you discovered by no increase in measurementsat appointments. I think she delivered at 37 weeks and my niece was 4lb 8oz. She was tiny but absolutely fine otherwise. She has feed well and has put on lots of weight since, no further care required. She's now coming up for 4 months and she's just perfect!

If mws/drs aren't concerned then I'm sure all will be well, good luck smile

Mrs52 Sat 10-Jan-15 13:02:32

I had the same with my first pregnancy. Baby was born by emcs at 32 weeks for IUGR. He was tiny - 3ib 6oz and because he was prem needed time in NICU but he was healthy other than needing to get feeding established and maintain his body temp. He was in hosp for 3 weeks and is now a typical 3 yo. He has caught up with his peers in size and has met all his development milestones.

My cs, while it was classed as an emergency, was a very calm and positive event. I wasn't in labour which I think made it more like an elective. The theatre staff were brilliant. There was a neo natal team in the corner of the room behind me who I was introduced to before the surgery started and while ds was whisked over to them as soon as he was out, we could hear him cry and once they had checked him over one of the nurses brought him over for us to see before he went off to get settled in NICU.

It is stressful and wasn't how I had expected my first child to be born but he has done really well so I wanted to give you what I hope you see as a positive story to offset the Google ones - I made the same mistake in an attempt to prepare myself but just freaked myself out! And yes those steroid injections do sting like a bitch!

Good luck on Monday, I hope it all goes well! smile

ClosedAuraOpenMind Sat 10-Jan-15 13:13:04

I had my DD almost 4 years ago at 37+1 by emcs after a failed induction. had pre eclamsia and the growth scan the day I was induced estimated she was below the5th centime and about 5lbs. when DD was born she was 4lbs 10 and couldn't breathe because of other health problems. she's still tiny, but she's fine

I know how stressful it is but the medical care is amazing and even tiny babies can be super strong

ClosedAuraOpenMind Sat 10-Jan-15 13:13:44

I had my DD almost 4 years ago at 37+1 by emcs after a failed induction. had pre eclamsia and the growth scan the day I was induced estimated she was below the5th centime and about 5lbs. when DD was born she was 4lbs 10 and couldn't breathe because of other health problems. she's still tiny, but she's fine

I know how stressful it is but the medical care is amazing and even tiny babies can be super strong

Ridingthestorm Sat 10-Jan-15 15:42:58

I was induced too due to IUGR at 39 weeks ended up being a EMCS due to placenta issues.
My DS was 6lbs 6oz so on the 9th percentile which is the top of the cut off point for babies considered as having IUGR. I too measured very small on my bump but I was having a scan anyways to check the position of my placenta at 36 weeks and it was at this scan they discovered there were problems.

I am glad I had the scan and subsequent growth scans sfterwards because had there not have been, I could have ended up with a stillbirth at or around 40 weeks.

DS is now aged three. He is hitting all milestones, ahead in some, later in others but by no means delayed - like EVERY child and he is 91st for height. In fact he moved from the 9th to the 25th to the 50th within 6 months for weight. He was long and skinny; still is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now