Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Iron Infusion.

(8 Posts)
Jodie1982 Fri 09-Jan-15 15:16:22

I've been in hospital due to a Kidney Infection, whilst in there I was told my Iron levels are really low, I have already been taking 2 Iron Tabs a day, so now I've been prescribed Vitamin B12 to take with the Iron Tabs, and if in 3wks my Iron levels are still low I'm to have Iron Infusions . Have any of you ladies had this done? I'm 34+6 today.

MissTwister Fri 09-Jan-15 15:48:12

Hi Jodie

I had one for a non pregnancy related reason. They're not scary, you're just hooked up to a drip and it takes an hour or so. And you feel great after!

Borttagen Fri 09-Jan-15 17:08:48

I've had them straight after my last two pregnancies as my iron went really low. As the poster above said you're just on a drip for an hour or so and I had no side effects and felt great after them - iron went up really quickly!

lovespoon Fri 09-Jan-15 20:04:21

Hello:-) yes I've had a few iron transfusions. One fusion takes 8 hours. They do it very slow at first to make sure don't have reaction then speed it up.
I felt flushed and achy during and after mine but all ok:-)

MissTwister Fri 09-Jan-15 20:07:12

Gosh 8 hours, mine was only an hour no more than two definitely. Maybe there are different kinds

lovespoon Fri 09-Jan-15 20:10:05

It looked like coke / Pepsi the infusion.
All the fusions I've had started about 8am and finished about 4 ish.
I was pregnant at the time of having these cosmofer (iron infusions).
I've had blood transfusions too which took 4 hours just for one pint.

NancyJones Fri 09-Jan-15 20:10:14

During these 3wks try to take lots of Vit C at the same time as all your iron rich foods as it increases absorption.

Jodie1982 Fri 09-Jan-15 22:31:15

Thank you Ladies, all comments are greatly appreciated. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now