Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

BFP after a micro-premmie - anyone else? Any handholding please?

(9 Posts)
Ohmygoshohmygosh Fri 09-Jan-15 12:09:39

Is anyone else in a similar situation. I already have 2 DC. First was dream pregnancy but My last DC who is now 3 was born very prematurely before 26 weeks and had a long and difficult hospital stay. As a result has mild cerebral palsy.
Initially we said we would never ever have another child after all we had been through but time has healed slightly and over the kast 6 moths, we did start to consider another other. I dream of a normal healthy pregnancy and baby just like I had with my first DC. The BFP I got yesterday is however a big surprise.

I am secretly excited but absolutely petrified that history will repeat itself and we will have another problem pregnancy. I am scared I will have another poorly baby and the impact on our family. I am worried of people's reactions and negative opinions? I know my parents will think i am absolutly mad to do this again, Yet I feel we are blessed and have a real chance.....
Is anyone else on a similar journey.....?

CarrotPuff Fri 09-Jan-15 12:21:24

Sorry, no experience but wanted to offer a hand to hold flowers

Do they know why DC2 was born so early? Sometimes the reason is very random and it's just bad luck - would that reassure you a little bit?

Congrats on your pregnancy, you're not mad, don't listen what other people say - it's your life and your family!

blackwidow74 Fri 09-Jan-15 16:28:07

Had my son at 21 weeks born sleeping and like you didn't think I would ever contemplate having another ... here I am 25+2 and everything going grand ... my anXiety levels are up and down like the tides and I'm constantly worrying with every twinge but here we are awaiting our little lady smile

You are likely to be better looked after this time and you will be listened to without being treated like a neurotic hormonal woman lol ... try to relax and ease your self into it smile and remember every baby is different ... smile

Ohmygoshohmygosh Fri 09-Jan-15 19:37:21

Thanks for your kind words carrot and blackwidow

blackwidow I am so sorry to hear about your son. But So pleased you are at 25 weeks, and everything's going grand with your little lady. Have you had consultant care this time around?

The reason for my prem birth was placenta previa.
There are mixed reports about the likelihood of this happening again?

Although, from the very beginning of my last pregnancy, I had bleeding, but so far absolutely nothing so I am keeping everything crossed that that is a more positive sign.

blackwidow74 Fri 09-Jan-15 22:13:59

I am consultant led this time as my son passed from hypercoiling of the cord and the placenta tried to compensate but became damaged and failed to supply his flow ... so little is known about it that I was told they didn't know why it happens or if it would happen again ... but no signs this time around although they have booked growth scans for 28 and 36 weeks to be sure ... my anxiety has been through the roof at times and I've phoned the midwife in a right state ... I've also spent a small fortune in private scans but worth every penny to know my little girl is thriving in there smile

I had a friend who had placenta previa with her 2nd and delivered him at 31 weeks ... shes since had 3 more problem free pregnancies and is expecting another in 8 weeks time so try and hold on to that when you have a wobble smile I'm here if ya need a vent anytime!!

Ohmygoshohmygosh Sat 10-Jan-15 20:18:09

Completely understandable that your anxieties have been through the roof after losing your little boy. flowers.
40 weeks seems like an eternity when you are counting down the weeks. Yet everyone else's pregnancies seem to fly by....

We're did you go for your private scans? How did you find out where to go?

We are in London and have heard that St Thomas's hospital have a preterm clinic for mothers who have and preterm pregnancies and losses. I am going to push for a referral for this with the hope I will be monitored more closely.

The rational part of me says 'don't worry, its a waste of energy, you have no control' yet another part of me is frantically googling and stressing about everything....

Nice to hear about your friend and her successful pregnancies smile

blackwidow74 Sat 10-Jan-15 20:32:08

I went to Babybond for my private scans ... can highly recommend them and they do reassurance scans from £39 if you just wanted a peek to put your mind at rest!

You shouldn't have to push for the extra care ... It should be a given with your history!!
Your midwife need only refer you and you are then assigned a consultant who meets you at 16 weeks to discuss your records, will then suggest the best course of action and make necessary bookings for you with regard to growth scans, appointments at 28 and 34/36 weeks to discuss scan findings and obviously later on possible changes to birth plans. My friend has been consultant led in every preg since her previa ... I'm sure you will be too smile!

blackwidow74 Sat 10-Jan-15 20:33:11

If you Google Babybond or ultrasounddirect it will show you the clinics in London as well as the whole of UK smile

Ohmygoshohmygosh Sun 11-Jan-15 13:01:13

Thanks so much for the info. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now