Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Prolapse Surgery v C Section

(4 Posts)
Treesandbees Fri 09-Jan-15 08:13:04

Not sure where to post this so I'll try here to see if anyone has been in a similar position to me. I've got an 18mo DS who was a big baby (9lbs), induced and required forceps in theatre which were 'aggressively' used as he was pretty stuck. The result was a prolapse for me (cysteocyle and rectocyle). I've been having physio and things are improving slowly but I'm now pg with DC#2. The physio says I've got a strong case for an elective c-section due to my prolapse. She said in her experience (40 years) if you've had one big baby you are likely to have another and as they wont let me go over my due date I'll probably be induced again meaning the likelihood of intervention is high. So long story short if I have another birth like my first I will need prolapse surgery.

Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice which option to go for? I'm worried about the aftermath of a csection and a newborn/toddler but equally don't want a horrendous fanny either!

HappyAsASandboy Fri 09-Jan-15 08:32:16

I have no experience of prolapse surgery, but wanted to reassure you about recovery from c section with a toddler.

You do need to take it easy after a section, so I would arrange for help with your toddler or the first two weeks or so after birth. This could be paternity leave, or a family member? It is basically because you shouldn't lift a heavy toddler for a while - you'll be able to sit on the floor/a bed and dress them, walk around the garden/park with them, stand to cook tea etc, but won't be able to lift them onto a swing, carry them upstairs, lift them in to and out of the bath etc.

After both of my sections, I was driving in two weeks, and lifting my older children for short lifts (eg into bath/car, not half way down the road!) after a month or so. There are lots of things you can do to reduce the amount I lifting too; step stools by loo/bath/car so they can climb in etc.

From my experience of sections, I would take the logistical inconvenience of a recovery over potential internal damage any day of the week.

Treesandbees Fri 09-Jan-15 08:42:43

Thanks for the reassurance Happy. That is really good to know that you can still operate! My OH could take 2 weeks paternity leave then my Mum could come and stay so I could have come help. I think I'd rather know what I was getting myself in to with a c-section that leaving it to the unknown with a natural birth. Just got to convince the consultant now.

Number3cometome Fri 09-Jan-15 09:02:32

My Mum had prolapse surgery and unfortunately has had to have it again and said things still are not right.

My self and my brothers were 6lb, 8lb and nearly 10lb.

Personally I would go for the section, I have had 2 and both were quick recoveries.

All the best x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now