Talk

Advanced search

Could I be leaking amniotic fluid?

(11 Posts)
larnieperty89 Thu 08-Jan-15 18:22:45

Hello Mummys & Daddy's,

I am 32 weeks pregnant and excuse the detail, have been feeling a bit 'wet' down there throughout the day to the point were I am wearing liners in my underwear. I know that increased discharge in pregnancy is usually normal but there are days when I seem to leak quite a bit.

It doesn't happen when I cough or sneeze so don't think it is in fact urine (the joy)

Does anyone know how common leaking amniotic fluid is? Baby's movements all seem normal and I cant complain pregnancy wise apart from mentioning this...

Rockchick1984 Thu 08-Jan-15 18:41:28

Have a sniff of the liner and see what it smells of - I had this happen and it was just increased watery discharge which is apparently very common. Also, try lying down for a while and see if there's a little gush when you get up, which would imply it could be your waters.

If you are unsure I'm sure your maternity assessment unit will happily check one of your pads.

Newmom2b Thu 08-Jan-15 18:49:07

Hi, I thought this too and mentioned it at my routine midwife appt, she wasn't too concerned but sent me into assessment unit to be on the safe side and was nothing to worry about. Ah the glamourous side of pregnancy!

Surreyblah Thu 08-Jan-15 18:50:28

I would get it checked out just in case waters are leaking due to infection risk etc.

NorwaySpruce Thu 08-Jan-15 18:51:50

I was told that if I was having to change a maternity pad in an hour, I should be seen.

A normal liner sounds pretty average, you should be fine.

minipie Thu 08-Jan-15 18:52:24

This happened to me at 33+6 - I had a day of a few leaks/wet patches and my waters then burst spectacularly at the end of the day - turns out the amniotic sac was gradually breaking and then broke altogether. DD was born at 34+0.

Hopefully this won't happen to you! it's not common. If it's been happening for a while rather than just for a day or two, then I think that suggests extra discharge rather than leak of waters. But, I suggest you call the midwives, they will probably tell you to come in to get the fluid checked (take one of the used pads so they can test easily).

weeblueberry Thu 08-Jan-15 18:59:27

I've been wearing liners daily since about week 14 (am 29 now). I was really worried about fluid because last pregnancy I didn't have this much discharge by a long shot. But it's really common for it to get a lot and often it's not like 'normal' discharge and becomes quite thin.

larnieperty89 Thu 08-Jan-15 19:13:25

Thank you smile you have all reassured me. I have a routine midwife apt next Monday so will speak to her. If the fluid/discharge increases between now & then I'll call my maternity unit.

Thank you all

jmojo Thu 08-Jan-15 21:35:43

Increased discharge is normal as it keeps the vagina clean. The easiest way to know is to put on black pants, if it dries white or creamy yellow then it is probably discharge. Not fool proof but a good indicator. If it smells of urine then it is urine, waters have a metallicy smell, although it varies. Waters can trickle, or gush depending on where and how they break.

If you are in doubt ring the labour ward of the hospital and speak to a midwife. Don't worry about "bothering them" this is actually a time they want you to call! If the waters have gone you need to know, as the baby is at risk of infection and waiting till monday would be way too long.

They just monitor the babies heart beat and after you have been sat down for a bit will do a speculum (the thing they use to open your vagina during a smear test). They will look to see if they can see it pooling in your vagina. Also take in some used sanitary pads in a plastic bag for them to see!

Hope it helps.

ProcrastIWillFinishThisLater Thu 08-Jan-15 21:38:40

You might need a pessary for thrush. It's so, so common in pregnancy and causes a watery discharge, you can get a surprising amount of discharge from it and it's very easily confused with amniotic fluid.

Craicalack Fri 09-Jan-15 12:13:55

I'm also a daily liner wearer!! I found though that after I've been for a wee, I need to sit there for a good 30 seconds, maybe lean forward a bit and more comes out, I found myself "drier" after doing this. I don't think I was completely finished before, I always notices myself wet not longer after having been to the loo.

Just a thought x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now