Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Urine infection?

(8 Posts)
IWantDogger Thu 08-Jan-15 13:55:17

I'm 17 weeks pregnant and today I feel like I need to pass urine all the time, even when I've just been, and just a small amount comes out at a time. It feels different to needing to go a lot at the beginning of pregnancy or at the end when there's pressure from the baby.
When I am passing urine it's uncomfortable though I wouldn't say really painful.
I weed into a container earlier and I think it was cloudy and smelt a bit funny.
Does it sound like a urine infection? I've not had one before. Will it get better by itself or should I make a GP appointment? I don't feel generally unwell in myself it's just uncomfortable feeling I need to go constantly and getting no relief when j do.

eastcoastmum2014 Thu 08-Jan-15 14:10:21

Go to the doctor and get it checked out. It could well be one in which case it needs treatment as urine infections in pregnancy can be serious. If it isn't then at least you know. They wont mind, I thought I had one at 15 weeks and went to the doctor and I didn't... they said its better to be safe than sorry!

joycep Thu 08-Jan-15 14:16:13

Do go and get it checked. In the meantime, drink plenty of water to try and flush it out. That's what I was told over Christmas when everything was closed. It did do the trick actually.

IWantDogger Thu 08-Jan-15 14:23:43

Ok thankyou, I've got a GP calling back later and will get going on the water drinking. Horrible feeling to need to go but get no relief!

PerpetualStudent Thu 08-Jan-15 14:59:18

Drink plenty of water, and go to the Drs ASAP. I had this on and off for about 5 weeks of my pregnancy. Just a warning, I went to Drs when I first started getting symptoms, he dip-tested pee, pronounced no infection and sent me on my way.
Symptoms (same as you describe) kept coming back. Have since read - and others please correct me if I'm wrong - that there's a second lab test they can send your pee off for which gives more accurate results, which I hadn't been able to wrangle.

Ended up going to A&E (sent there by maternity unit as they don't see people before 18 weeks I know, WTF and I had just moved so was between GPs, I knew it wasn't necessary but there you go) where a Dr tested me again, still found no concrete sign of infection, but prescribed me (pregnancy safe) anti-biotics as UTIs in pregnancy are a definite risk.
I was so happy - quite apart from the discomfort, which I knew was a UTI as I'm quite susceptible to them, there's the risk the infection can spread to your uterus and cause issues.

So moral of my sorry tale is nag the Drs and don't get fobbed off!

Chatty987 Thu 08-Jan-15 17:38:54

Definitely go to Dr. I ended up with a kidney infection at 16 weeks and the pain was incredible so you don't want any UTI getting more serious.

weegiemum Thu 08-Jan-15 17:42:42

Definitely doctor!

I had UTIs throughout all pregnancies that led to kidney infections, kidney stones and air ambulance transfer!

Drink lots of water, and get antibiotics ASAP!

IWantDogger Thu 08-Jan-15 18:05:39

Thanks everyone, dr called me in and sample tested positive straight away so got antibiotics. Really glad I phoned them - had not had one before and was under impression I would have other symptoms of feeling unwell and have burning pain if it was a fully developed infection but there you go! Good old mumsnet, and feel lucky to have a good GP where I can phone at 2pm and get seen the same day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now