Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Belly button piercing

(18 Posts)
Chickenfillets Thu 08-Jan-15 11:43:24

I have my belly pierced for 9 year now and didn't wanna take it out when I caught pregnant so I got one of those flexible maternity bars. Iv had it in for about two month but it's started to look very red and a bit scabby. Iv just cleaned my bar and belly with salt water and antiseptic wipes. Am I best to just take it out or will cleaning it daily be ok? I don't really want to take it out but if I have to I will.

Pinkrach Thu 08-Jan-15 11:49:57

I would just take it out to be honest. I had mine done when I was a bit younger- haven't worn a piercing for about 10 years, however, the scar is now stretched so tight and is really red! Xxx

Chickenfillets Thu 08-Jan-15 12:01:31

Yeah think I might take it out then. I'm only 22 weeks so it'll just get worse with stretching won't it confused

Choccyhobnob Thu 08-Jan-15 12:08:57

I'm dreading this! Have had mine for 15 years and feel like I look totally weird without it and like it's not my stomach! But then my stomach will start looking pretty weird soon enough anyway won't it! grin

Chickenfillets Thu 08-Jan-15 12:12:54

That's what I think every time I take mine out. I look so bare and doesn't look like my belly! blush I was determined not to take it out but looks like I'll have too hmm

Pinkrach Thu 08-Jan-15 12:14:03

Yeah it will get worse, I am 34 weeks now- belly button popped on and piercing no longer resembles a little hole it's stretched so tight!! Xx

Number3cometome Thu 08-Jan-15 12:20:11

Take it out, mine got all stretched!

It will go back in after if you have had it for 9 years, don't worry about that x

Chickenfillets Thu 08-Jan-15 12:24:33

Just took it out this second. Thanks everyone. My belly button has half popped out already looks really weird. Not taking any risks of my belly looking horribly scarred from leaving it in. Hopefully it will go back in.

Pisghetti Thu 08-Jan-15 12:26:34

Mine was very new during my first pregnancy and the hole turned inside out at about 5 months which wasn't very attractive. I got a horrible scar from it too - but it blends in with the stretch marks wink

Letmeeatcakecakecake Thu 08-Jan-15 12:54:56

Take it out! Honestly! I kept mine in for my first pregnancy, and it looked disgusting but the skin around it became all stretched and manky!

Cupcakes123 Thu 08-Jan-15 13:00:36

I kept mine in the whole pregnancy, with a normal bar.
When I was in labour the midwife was saying ooohhh look you've still got your belly button bar in!

I didn't want to take it out, it was like another part of me I was having to give up if that makes sense?

it looked a bit strange by the end but it's gone completely back to normal

Hopelass Thu 08-Jan-15 15:13:18

I'd had mine done for 13 years when I was pg. I took it out but every few days just slipped the bar back in the hole for a few seconds and wiggled it around so it didn't heal up. Once baby was born back went the bar and it's the same as before now!

bellaboo88 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:36:59

I had to take mine out as it wasn't far off being ripped out when knocked.

I had it done 15 years ago. I don't think it can ever heal up! Strange seeing whet the inside of my belly button looks like though!!

TheScenicRoute Thu 08-Jan-15 20:11:19

Personally I would try to heal up the redness and as soon as it is looking healthy remove it for the rest of the duration.

applecore0317 Thu 08-Jan-15 20:18:50

I took mine out a couple of years ago, took a while to get used to a bare belly. I had the top and bottom done. The bottom took around 18 months to close and the top has only just started to close, had it for around 12 years. even closed up I can still see the holes and they are stretching as my bump grows.

Serafinaaa Fri 09-Jan-15 19:01:23

I've had my piercing for 15 years and I haven't needed to take it out so far. I'm 35 weeks and it doesn't really look any different except for the fact that I'm using a plastic maternity bar now instead of a metal ring. It hasn't developed any stretch marks and doesn't hurt at all.

Olivexo Fri 09-Jan-15 22:02:52

I had mine for 6 years before getting pregnant with my first. I took it out in the first trimester at some point. It closed up!!! After having the baby I never got it back in. I've got a scar now, doesn't really bother me though, it's not that noticeable.

ShoeJunkie Fri 09-Jan-15 22:05:05

I'm 37 weeks with DC2 and I've still got my flexible pregnancy bar in. I think I'd taken it out by this point with DS though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now