Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

20 week scan today now concerned :(

(12 Posts)
3rdbump Wed 07-Jan-15 20:47:01

Baby number 4 is due end of may.
I went for my 20 week scan today at 19 weeks and 6 days.
I opted out of the downs test at 12 week scan and no questions where asked, the sonographer however did look at the fluid around babys neck and said it appeared normal and she had no concerns.
Fast forward to today and another sonographer asked why we declined the test as she was scanning, silly me originally thought it was when they took fluid from around the baby and risk of miscarriage - not a measurement and simple blood test! i found this out a few weeks back. I never had this test with the other babies. I told the lady this and she said it wasnt too late and could still have it done. My partner and i declined and i did mention what the other sonographer said, however she kept banging on about it saying it was there to be taken advantage of blah blah blah and would not let it go, even telling us to go out the room to discuss the test and asking us what we would do if it turned out the baby had a risk of downs! me and the OH have not discussed this and kind of said it may not change the fact that we would have the baby no matter what. I started to panic and asked why she was pushing and did she spot anything odd on the scan, she assured us that everything appeared normal and if there was a problem she would tell us.
The scan report came back and everything as normal but she did make a point of stating in the comments that we where offered the test again and we declined?!

Now am worrying and cant help thinking that our baby may have a problem sad
Booking a 4d gender scan next week (we are in an area where sexing of babies is not told for free) and going to ask them to have a look too.

I thought that after 14 weeks the test was too late to take anyway?

m33r Wed 07-Jan-15 20:52:59

Hi 3rd. I don't have much to offer except that i DID take the test and measurements. Because of lurking on here all the time I knew what the 'safe' measurement was and it came up on the sonigrapher screen. It was well within 'safe'. I have no other risk factors that would affect whatever formula they do so figured if I just asked they'd tell me i was probably low risk but she was very shifty and wouldn't answer.

We got the results and are low risk.

I guess I'm just trying to reassure you not to base things on the manner of the sonigrapher. Good luck next week x

ChatEnOeuf Wed 07-Jan-15 20:53:05

I've not had the tests with either of my pregnancies - it just wouldn't affect the outcome so I don't see the need. Once you have been informed and decline a test that really should be the end of it. To be honest unless the sonographer was able to fully discuss the tests, they shouldn't be pushing you to have them.

Remember it would only give you a risk, not a diagnosis.

GingerCuddleMonster Wed 07-Jan-15 21:01:00

I had a Dr like this, wendeclined any screening tests, even an amino because I carry a genetic condition, ds looked fine on all the scans, we weren't worried and to be honest after I'd felt him kick and bonded with him it would have made no difference, we would have taken no action.

still he pushed, I stuck to my guns and declined, ds is fine no problems detected yet and he's 21 weeks tomorrow

PrincessOfChina Wed 07-Jan-15 21:04:16

I assume they're covering their backs on your notes. They strongly recommend the test so you are aware of any issues, and you declined.

They may be seen as negligent if you turned round and said it was never offered for example.

3rdbump Wed 07-Jan-15 21:07:23

princessOfChina i hope this is the case!
Am trying to cling onto the fact that the first sonographer at my 12 week scan said the fluid appeared normal

Littleturkish Wed 07-Jan-15 21:14:15

I'm sorry no one properly explained the test to you at 12 weeks- it is for so much more than just DS and it's a shame you haven't been better informed.

For now, you just have to let it go. Like you say, if there was a problem, you wouldn't do anything differently anyway. I'm sorry the sonographer has made you feel like this.

Dogsmom Wed 07-Jan-15 21:31:05

From what you say it sounds like she was simply making 100% sure you didn't want the test, she assured you she hadn't seen anything abnormal so I wouldn't worry.

Maybe she's been in trouble before for either not mentioning the test or perhaps offering it, being declined then the parent complained and insisted they weren't asked?

As for it being on the paperwork, that's normal.

MrsCorr Wed 07-Jan-15 21:42:57

At my 12 week scan baby was in the wrong position so they couldn't test. I had to go back at 15 weeks for second trimester screening, just another scan & a blood test & everything was fine.
So don't worry about being too late for the test, they can still check but think it may be slightly less accurate outside the 12 weeks period.

victoire1208 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:55:37

I think they were pushing it because a health care professional had failed somewhere down the line by not explaining what the test entailed. If in the very very unlikely event you did have a child with downs syndrome there would be a risk you'd sue for not being properly informed about the screening. The conversation about the test should have happened weeks ago and the notes being updated saying they've explained and offered today sounds like they're just covering their arses. Don't worry baby's fineflowers

3rdbump Wed 07-Jan-15 22:01:32

Thank you everyone you have put my mind at ease.

SilverStars Wed 07-Jan-15 22:58:38

If they spot what used to be called a "soft marker" for a chromosomal abnormality they have to record it and get a consultant involved. Sadly we had several of these in our recent20 week scan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now