Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

HOW DO YOU DO IT? URGENT

(8 Posts)
NewBabyMama Wed 07-Jan-15 16:54:32

How do you be a mother? I'm expecting a dd in April. Its both mine and my dh's first child. What is having a baby like and how do you look after one?
What do you need for a baby and what quantities?

RonaldMcFartNuggets Wed 07-Jan-15 16:55:45

You just do.

You'll know what to do.

Breathe....and relax smile

weelamb123 Wed 07-Jan-15 16:58:37

Yes, noone can tell u how to be a parent. It should come naturally. If u need advice on what u need etc then that's different xx

Showy Wed 07-Jan-15 17:02:37

What is it like having a baby? Exhilarating, all-consuming, terrific, wonderful, frustrating, boring, humbling, challenging, wonderful.

You look after one by developing your own unique relationship with them. It won't be a baby. It will be your baby. It will be your new family member. Sometimes you'll be guided by trial and error, sometimes by instinct and sometimes you'll feel like you're winging it. In the end, you'll be exactly the parents your baby needs.

And what do you need? Somewhere for it to sleep, something to wear, method of transportation, food from your breasts or a bottle and ways of keeping it clean (nappies). You need very little. You'll end up with piles and reams and mountains of stuff.

bronya Wed 07-Jan-15 17:05:34

Instinct and common sense are powerful helpers. I'd never even held a baby before I had my DS. DH showed me how to change a nappy and dress him (he has a niece and nephew) then left me to it on that first, memorable night on the post natal ward. I was terrified but did actually cope!

If neither of you have a clue and neither of your parents will come and show you, you need to ask the midwives at the hospital. They will show you how to dress/undress/put a nappy on etc. They won't if you don't ask though. Read and read and read on the internet, watch videos etc. Buy one of those books that take you through the first few weeks (for reassurance really!).

For practical help, rope in friends who have children already, and family. If you have none of those, there is NHS help. When baby is born, they will show you the basics if you ask. Then as soon as you're home there is a visit on day 1 to check you're ok (and to offer advice if needed). You go back to the hospital on day 5 and again at day 10 to check weight etc and can ask more questions if needed at this point. Then there's the first Health Visitor visit between 10 days and 14 days. After that, you'll know where and when the Health Visitor clinics are and can go at any time to have baby weighed and ask advice. So don't panic, even if you have no one you know to help/advise you, the NHS has it covered!

It's great - so great that lots and lots of people do it more than once. Life changing in a very good way, and so very worth nine months of being pregnant. Hard work though!

sleepybee Wed 07-Jan-15 17:08:16

Ha I could have written this question myself! I just keep saying 15/16 yr olds do this so surely I can as I'm twice their age!

Read all the books, leaflets your midwife provides you with & watch the dvd's. I also bought a book & found I actually know more than I think I do.

& don't worry!

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 07-Jan-15 17:10:20

You learn as you go. Just learn how to change a nappy first grin

dorasee Wed 07-Jan-15 17:11:29

Mother Nature, biology... it all kicks in. Trust all of us mums.flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now