Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long should I wait. Scan?

(14 Posts)
Jenny1231990 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:28:39

Hi all. I was she my 20 week appointment on 23rd December. I missed the appointment. As awful as it sounds it completely slipped my mind I was late by 5 minutes and couldn't be seen what with having Xmas, 6 year old and a 7month old to look after I feel awful for remembering last minute. Anyway they said they would send me a new appointment out in the post. I left it over Xmas I called on the 27th and she said it was up to me to call and make the appointment myself. This isn't what I was told.
I asked to re book and she said they couldn't they would have to call me back because they are very busy. I didn't hear anything back from anyone, I called again to be told my number had been left with the sonographer. I don't know what I should do? Do I just leave it and wait? I'm 22weeks today and I know they need to be able to check all organs and what not, I'm worried the further I go the less they will see. Thanks

Teeste Wed 07-Jan-15 08:33:41

I don't know too much about the timing thing, but in my experience, hospitals are complete arse at communication. Ring them every day until you get a result. You can't be the first and only person to miss an appointment! Good luck smile

blackwidow74 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:36:43

Yup keep on till you get a date and time ... its shocking how bad you have been passed around theand gotten no answers

Jenny1231990 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:37:29

Thank you. I left it from the 27th until my son went to school on the 5th. Don't get me wrong I don't expect them to give me an appointment straight away but just something would have been nice. Il call again today. I've messaged my community midwife about 3 days ago and she still hasn't got back to me ��. Thank you x

Jenny1231990 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:39:32

I know. I'm just worried il become a nuisance ha. I didn't know if I should wait or not. I said I can come in any time I just would like to know baby is ok. And she said they would have to get another sonographer in to help

Teeste Wed 07-Jan-15 09:12:30

I'd rather be a nuisance than go without the scan/appropriate care for my baby. Squeaky wheels get the grease and all that! I wouldn't advocate doing this in all situations, but I've been messed about by my hospital so much that I take a bit of a harder line on it. Even my midwife told me I needed to be 'assertive' with them! Get the care you need, I can guarantee you won't be the stroppiest person they've ever dealt with wink

Jenny1231990 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:15:30

Thank you, no exactly. I've tried calling. They won't tell me anything! What can I say / do to get an appointment? X

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:18:50

I think in your situation I would get myself privately scanned just got peace of mind.

sebsmummy1 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:19:05

*for

Teeste Wed 07-Jan-15 09:20:16

Hmm, maybe go higher up the chain? Write someone an email detailing your concerns?

TeaandHobnobs Wed 07-Jan-15 09:22:17

Keep badgering them - be a nuisance. But a private scan in the meantime might put your mind at ease, like sebsmummy says.
FWIW I don't think there is a risk they would see less the further along you are at this stage - I had an extra scan at 25 weeks and the sonographer was discussing with her trainee how everything was actually much clearer and easier to check at that point.

rubyboo2 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:36:36

Hi Op make an appointment with your Midwife explain and see what she can do to help you . x

Jenny1231990 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:44:06

Thank you. I've tried calling it goes to answerphone. Il try again in an hour or so and il call the hospital again. Thank you all. Just a worry x

comeagainforbigfudge Wed 07-Jan-15 12:56:18

Start phoning from 1pm
they might just be on lunch.
Just keep phoning.
I'm not understanding why they couldn't make an appointment there and then. Okay you were late by 5 minutes it's not like you just didn't show up.

They may be busy but it's part of their job to book appointments. Insist on it! If they are still being awkward ask them what they recommend you do in order to get appointment as you have so far done all that they have asked etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now