Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

nasty midwife - anyone had bad experiences?

(9 Posts)
rosedavo Tue 06-Jan-15 23:32:13

This is my first pregnancy and I really dont like my midwife and im not sure what to do. At my booking appointment I told her I was on antidepressants for anxiety and that the doctor said I was ok to carry on as I was on a small dose and I could come off when I feel ok, the midwife however made me feel like a bad mother for being on them and told me that 'some women choose to come off them, and they should'. Then at my 16 week appointment I asked some questions about my scan and measurements and she replyed with 'well im not a sonographer so I cant help you.'. Also I wasnt offered a doppler, is this normal?

Gunpowder Tue 06-Jan-15 23:43:24

You can ask to change midwife if you are not comfortable. Her comments about your ADs are bizarre, would trust the doctor who prescribed them instead. Of course you're not a bad mother btw!

AFAIK Doppler isn't standard at 16 wks as sometimes hard to hear heartbeat that early. smile

plinkyplonks Tue 06-Jan-15 23:45:31

Are you able to change mid wife? She does sound horrible tbh sad

Koalafications Tue 06-Jan-15 23:50:35

Her comments re your AD's are odd. I would trust my GP over the midwife, personally as presumably they have been treating you for longer and therefore have a greater understanding of your health. You can always ask for a second opinion from another GP if you are concerned.

I would also look into changing midwife.

rosedavo Tue 06-Jan-15 23:58:27

Yeah im going to ask about a different midwife definatley!

MrsCosmopilite Wed 07-Jan-15 00:05:10

She sounds as delightful as the MW who said to my friend, literally 10 minutes after she'd given birth "Well, you've got a lot of baby weight to lose, haven't you?"

If you can change, then do!

rosedavo Wed 07-Jan-15 00:15:30

Why do people think to say something like that ever, nevermind just after giving birth!

WrappedInABlankie Wed 07-Jan-15 00:21:27

I'd change midwife tbh. Listening to the HB is standard at the 16 week appointment where I am though

SilverStars Wed 07-Jan-15 00:22:49

You can ask to be referred to a mental health midwife if your area has one or to a peri-natal mental health team for assessment - if she questions your medication etc!! In fact in my pregnancy hand held notes there is a whole page for mental health screenings that shows how common it is!!! Ad support should be provided of needed ( not by a community midwife you may be glad to hear!)

Often midwives do not listen for the baby until 24 weeks now.

My appointments are short, factual and onto the next person. I think a good midwife sadly is not as common as I had hoped. Thankfully do not get many appointments.

If you are unhappy you could phone the supervisor of midwives up at the hospîtal a register your complaint about midwife and ask to go to a different place to see a different midwife for 24week appointment onwards?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: