Advanced search

Any reassuring words to offer while I wait 2 weeks for a scan after previous ectopic??

(20 Posts)
TerrysNo3 Tue 06-Jan-15 22:26:05

Got a bfp yesterday at around 10dpo and today 2-3 weeks on a cb digital at lunchtime. That sounds good right?!?

I had an ectopic pregnancy in July which resulted in losing my left tube so I am super excited at having conceived with one tube but how am I going to stop myself going crazy over the next couple of weeks waiting to see if everything is ok. I only have 1 tube left!! sad

I am booked into EPU on the 21 Jan.

Teeste Tue 06-Jan-15 22:59:53

Congrats on your pregnancy! flowers

I haven't had an ectopic, but I did have a MC before this pregnancy. The only thing that stopped me worrying (briefly) was a private scan at around 9 weeks. I think once you've had something go wrong, you're going to worry no matter what, really. Having said that, worrying doesn't achieve anything! I just ask myself - what would it look like if everything was actually OK? The answer is - pretty much like it does now. Constant reassuring self-talk is the answer for me, and the odds are in your favour, but don't hesitate to go private if you can. Fingers crossed for you.

BlackIvy Tue 06-Jan-15 23:03:40

Congrats smile

I had a ruptured ectopic with my 3rd pregnancy and so lost a tube. My next pregnancy was absolutely fine and I now have a healthy 5 year old.

An ectopic is such a traumatic experience. My heart goes out to you

Swanny84 Tue 06-Jan-15 23:17:23

The wait is awful, I had a 3 week wait from a suspected ectopic where they found an empty sack (not ectopic though) to a baby with a heartbeat. Feels like the days are longer than ever but at the moment you are having all positive signs so try relax, fingers crossed you'll see your little baby in 2 weeks or at least be reassured it's in right place (as happened to me-I was between 4/5 weeks on first scan). Good luck, if I could fast forward time for you I would as I know it's an awful time xxx

TerrysNo3 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:02:53

thanks all, scan is 2 weeks today, not that I'm counting down or anything smile

I already have some twingey pains I remember from my "normal " pregnancies and sensitive breasts so I think these two are a good sign.

If only I could drink myself through the next 2 weeks!! wink

Swanny84 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:20:52

Yes really good signs, fingers crossed for you xxx

SueV14 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:49:36

I had an ectopic a year ago (luckily managed expectantly) and I was told by the EPU to come back ASAP as soon as I knew I was pregnant next time as the risk of ectopic is increased by 25% once you've had it. I really don't wanna scare you and whilst I am sure everything will be fine this time (I am 10w+2 now and feeling great!), I would recommend that you insist on an earlier scan (as soon as you hit 5 weeks though, cause this is when they can see the yolk sac and if it is in the right place). If they can't reschedule you I would go for a private scan, they do it for 100 quid at the Fetal Medicine Centre

Good luck and keep us posted!

TerrysNo3 Wed 07-Jan-15 14:57:06

sue I understand the risk of ectopic is only 10%, not 25%?? I am having a scan on the 21st when I will be 5+5 and the doctor said I should go straight to a+e if I get any bleeding or pains... but so far so good!!

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

SueV14 Wed 07-Jan-15 15:30:44

I was told 25 but maybe my doc back then was simply more pessimistic. But I did run for a scan as soon as I reached 5 weeks (was too freaked out it could be an ectopic again) and thank god it's in the right place now.

Ok, if you are still that early on then it's probably ok, but still, the sooner you get scanned at 5 weeks the better. Another way to get reassurance earlier is to do blood tests to see if your HCG levels are doubling every 24h as they should if it's too early for a scan. But again, it's a question if the NHS would agree to do that if you're not bleeding or showing any other bad symptoms. I'm simply the type who likes to triple-check things when it comes to smth potentially dangerous :-)

TerrysNo3 Thu 15-Jan-15 23:58:37

6 more sleeps. Not that I'm counting.

patience was never my strong point angry

Tranquilitybaby Fri 16-Jan-15 00:03:14

I too suffered an ectopic and loss of tube in April, but I'm now 17+3 weeks pregnabt with a healthy baby smile

You got a strong positive straight away so that's a great sign. The only think I would say is that you might not see much having a scan before 6 weeks. I'm surprised they didn't wait another 4-7 days before scanning you. Hope all is ok, sure it will be xx

TerrysNo3 Fri 16-Jan-15 00:09:01

oh I know they might not see much tranquility but they want to check it's in the right place. I'll be demanding asking nicely for another scan the following week if they don't see a heartbeat though! smile

TerrysNo3 Fri 16-Jan-15 00:09:57

and yesterday I got 3+ on a cb digital which I never got with my ectopic!! smile

TheresOnlyOneWayOfLife Fri 16-Jan-15 00:25:06

I've had 3 ectopics, lost my left tube and then had 2 further ones in the right tube later on which they managed to patch up and save.
I've got 3 DC's including a snoring 6 year old who made it through after the 2 further ectopics smile
Just wanted to let you know that it does happen....

Good luck with your pregnancy, keep positive and keep us posted!

TerrysNo3 Wed 21-Jan-15 14:41:03

there is a real live blob with a flickering heartbeat in my womb!!! grin grin grin

thanks all for helping the wait.

Currentlyclueless Wed 21-Jan-15 14:47:08

Congratulations! Happy for you

blackwidow74 Wed 21-Jan-15 15:50:53

Awww what fab news .... now relax and enjoy that little Bean smile

Tranquilitybaby Wed 21-Jan-15 17:49:36

Wonderful news, so pleased for you x

TheresOnlyOneWayOfLife Wed 21-Jan-15 19:22:07

Awesome, so pleased for you smile

TerrysNo3 Wed 21-Jan-15 21:05:12

thanks guys grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now