Talk

Advanced search

Second births are meant to be more straight forward - but what about with a big gap?

(11 Posts)
Bair Tue 06-Jan-15 20:55:35

I know not all second births are quicker, easier etc, however from listening to friends and MN a lot of women do tend to have a more positive experience second time round.

Does this still apply with a huge age gap? 11 and a half years between DS and my due date for this baby. I feel like I'm doing it for the first time pregnancy wise it's been so long.

Did anyone have two years apart? Was it like the first time all over again?

Bair Tue 06-Jan-15 20:56:11

Title should read big age gap. I am not talking about my gap <shudder>

KittyCatKittyCat Tue 06-Jan-15 20:59:10

Honestly I can't comment because I don't have the experience, but I had to bump purely for your second comment!!!
Hope someone less gigglesome can advice on your gap. :D

KittyCatKittyCat Tue 06-Jan-15 20:59:27

advise!

sleepyhead Tue 06-Jan-15 21:04:07

6.5 years here.

Much quicker, easier etc, but some of that was down to not being overdue, no intervention etc.

It did feel like my body remembered what to do though. I however had forgotten until crowning and then remember thinking "oh yeah, it bloody hurts" grin

Good luck! I found everything easier 2nd time around despite being 40 when ds2 was a newborn, and the big gap means you don't have to deal with a toddler too. Ds1 was great with ds2 and over the moon at finally being a big brother smile

Bair Tue 06-Jan-15 21:15:06

I have never felt crowning Sleepy, had an epidural for the last few hours. God the crowning scares me.

Serephim Wed 07-Jan-15 08:53:49

Bair I am similar to you, due in March and my only other biological child will be 9, nearly 10. I had an epidural last time and am petrified of the crowning part. It is surprising how much like a first pregnancy it feels! smile

5dogsgoswimming Wed 07-Jan-15 09:07:30

18 month gap. Second birth harder! Less pain but harder

Ange77 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:46:25

Hey Bair, I had my second child October 2013 that was 15.5 years after my first. I felt like you, a completely new mum again.
I can say it was easier, still hurt like hell, but being older I felt more in control, I didn�t take all the drugs on offer so I think that helped. I kept moving about, not confined to a bed and the last part of labour was extremely speedy and my son was born after about only 10 minutes in the delivery room with only a few puffs on the gas and air. As opposed to what seemed like an eternity with my first, leading him to get stuck.
I think once your body has already stretched no matter how long ago it was it is already primed and ready to make the second delivery better, obviously not in everyones case.
Expecting baby number three in March so I�m hoping the smaller gap means I can pop this one out like peas from a pod!

Good luck

mumofthemonsters808 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:55:58

7 Year gap for me, I'd say both births were similar, both quick, both with gas and air, couple of stitches on both occasions, both small babies and quick recovery time.

Bair Wed 07-Jan-15 14:58:34

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. I know it'll be what it is and there's nothing you can do other than prepare for everything but I am worried I'll be treated like an old hand at the hospital where if anything age and experience has made me more nervous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now