Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

36 weeks lots of period like pains

(16 Posts)
dragonflyinthelillies Tue 06-Jan-15 11:55:32

I was just wondering if this is normal?

I've had a morning of fairly strong period type pains and remember being told it can be the start of labour

Obviously it's a little early so i was just looking for some reassurance that it doesn't necessarily mean labour is imminent. I haven't even packed my hospital bag yet, or started antenatal classes!

Letmeeatcakecakecake Tue 06-Jan-15 11:58:03

Don't worry,

Just try to keep an eye on them and if they start to regulate then call your midwife.

They won't try to stop delivery now as you're so close to full term and baby will most likely be fine x

SoupDragon Tue 06-Jan-15 11:59:58

If I were you, I would keep a note of how frequent they are to see if there is a pattern. All three of my labours started with period pains but they were pains that came and went regularly.

And pack your bag just in case grin

SoupDragon Tue 06-Jan-15 12:00:51

Oh, and labour was the only time I had period like pains as opposed to braxton hicks type pains etc.

dragonflyinthelillies Tue 06-Jan-15 12:06:54

Oh crap! Not quite the reassurance i was looking for! (Thanks for your replies though)

Yes they are coming and going fairly regularly, but I haven't had any kind of show

Guess I should go pack my bag just in case

Fingers and legs crossed, I'm not ready!

OutDamnSpot Tue 06-Jan-15 12:11:36

My first labour started that way, I think around lunchtime. By 5pm it was obvious I was in labour but a friend had similar which went on for days - think key is if regular and getting stronger then labour likely to be imminent, if more on/off niggly you might have longer to go.

Either way at 36 weeks you should be OK so try and rest / relax and see what happens. Good luck!

Jodie1982 Tue 06-Jan-15 12:12:03

Call your MW Hun, especially if they're regular. Sounds like early Labour pains. (Im going to b doing it for 5th time very soon so speaking from experience here!) good luck. Try n update us if possible. smile

OutDamnSpot Tue 06-Jan-15 12:12:53

PS - never had a show either and waters went 10mins before birth so don't hold on for either of those as signs.

SweepTheHalls Tue 06-Jan-15 12:13:58

That's how my labour started! Good luck x

Dogsmom Tue 06-Jan-15 13:24:28

Mine started like that too, period pains about half hour apart, no show,no waters breaking and dd was born the following day smile

Could easily be Braxton hicks though, if it is they should ease off if you move around, don't panic too much though, early stages can be days or weeks.

Definitely get your bags packed though, even if they want you to pop in to be examined they'd tell you to take your stuff.

Christelle2207 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:28:47

Pack your bag and call the mw for reassurance. They may want you to go in as you're slightly early. Don't panic though all will be well- my labour started like this though took a few hours for me to realise.

Marmaladecat1 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:35:50

I never had a show, in fact my waters didn't go until I was pushing DC out.

Don't worry, you really don't need much in hospital bag.
Call MW see what they think.
How exciting!

dragonflyinthelillies Tue 06-Jan-15 15:45:24

So i started getting contractions about 2 hours ago, called triage and they said to take 2 paracetamol and see how it goes. They were coming really close together they've eased off again now for the moment. I'm hoping it's a false alarm, i didn't realise how unprepared I am.

Triage said to phone if they start up again, guess it's just a waiting game now.

I now have a hospital bag though! And my sister is going to get the car seat today for me.

Was NOT expecting this when i woke up this morning!

ILiveOnABuildsite Tue 06-Jan-15 15:52:31

Good luck dragonfly! Hope it all goes well for you.

SoupDragon Tue 06-Jan-15 16:05:25

Was NOT expecting this when i woke up this morning!

I think that sentence sums up parenthood in general TBH. smile

Good luck!

Christelle2207 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:22:05

Best of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now