Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dental Work During Pregnancy

(18 Posts)
TheEagle Mon 05-Jan-15 20:10:53

Just wondering if anyone has had experience of dental work while pregnant?

I need a crown on one of my molars, I have quite a significant filling in it. Or I did until today when my filling fell out sad

I'm currently 21 + 1 with twins and I'm nervous of what the dentist can/can't do for me.

Has anyone had a crown while pregnant? Or had a filling come out like this and had a patch up job done?

Raging with myself that I just didn't get the fecking thing fixed after DS was born.

Thanks!

weelamb123 Mon 05-Jan-15 20:27:49

Yes, I think it should be fine as all ur dental treatment is now free. So I would assume that is to encourage people to go to the dentist. Xx

willywallace Mon 05-Jan-15 20:40:31

I had a root canal done. There was no problem with anything, they can still give you local anaesthetic and x-rays if necessary using a lead apron. The only thing which differed was type of antibiotic if you have an infection.
Plus it's free so I think you did a good job waiting! Good luck, hope it goes well.

ignominious Mon 05-Jan-15 20:47:44

I had the same thing happen and had a temporary one as everything went black whenever I lay flat on my back (baby on blood vessel or something). Still got it now as I'm too chicken to get the crown. If you can lie down you should be ok but why fix it now when you can delay the agony..

TheEagle Mon 05-Jan-15 20:50:37

Unfortunately I'm not in the UK so it won't be free.

My GP has said I won't be able to have an x ray so it's all a bit confusing confused

Seeing dentist on Wed so I suppose I'll be guided by what he says then!

SummerSazz Mon 05-Jan-15 20:52:18

I had a wisdom tooth extracted after an infection. The worst bit was the agonising pain before it was treated as couldn't use heavy duty painkillers. Local anaesthetic and antibiotics were all fine.
Get it sorted for free !

squallywag Tue 06-Jan-15 10:02:18

I had a crown during this pregnancy without anaesthetic, they can do anaesthetic but prefer to do it without if they can. in my case the bit that needed drilling was v.far from the nerve. was just uncomfortable and took longer as kept having to have breaks to sit up. in my first pregnancy I had fluoride caps over all my teeth as I suffer with anaemia which can affect teeth gums quite badly. im a real wimp when it comes to the dentist and coped fine. just find a dentist you trust us my advice

LittleHornbill Tue 06-Jan-15 10:15:46

I also need a crown over a large filling. I was TTC when I last saw the dentist so he said he wouldn't do an X-ray and therefor couldn't do the crown. He just told me to avoid toffee and get it done after I've had a baby.
As your filling has come out, they will need to do something. As others have had crowns fitted while pregnant, maybe it just depends where about in your mouth it is, i.e. whether or not they can see it clearly without an x-ray. If they can't do it, I imagine they would just clean it and put in another temporary filling for now.

Passthebiscuitspls Tue 06-Jan-15 10:48:31

I've had 2 veneers replaced with crowns and had it done when I was about 30 weeks. I had the local anaesthetic and it was all fine. The dentist said it was perfectly safe. HTH

LittleMiss77 Wed 07-Jan-15 08:35:25

I'm due to have a silver filling removed next week and replaced with a white one, due to further decaying of the tooth.

My dentist has told me that this is perfectly safe (i'll be 14+5) and that there is nothing to worry about, but i have read conflicting advice on this due to mercury vapour. What do people think on this?

I'm tempted to tell him to leave it until the summer, but at the same time i don't really want it to get worse - will 6 months really make a difference to the condition of the tooth?

TheEagle Wed 07-Jan-15 09:00:21

littlemiss, I don't know much about mercury fillings - maybe ask your GP/midwife for their advice?

My GP has said that I should get a temporary filling with as little local anaesthesia as possible. Because I'm expecting twins I'm a bit bigger than you'd normally be at 21 weeks so she doesn't want me sitting in the dentist's chair for a long period of time.

It's a minefield! I really should have had this tooth crowned after DS was born in Oct 13 but taking care of a baby is a busy job! And then when I did have some time to myself I didn't really feel like spending it in the dentist's chair smile And now I'm pg again!

Good luck with it, I'm in with my dentist at 4.30 today so looking forward to having it over and done with.

willywallace Wed 07-Jan-15 09:04:53

Good luck with it. Starting to worry my dentist was just a bit blase about it now...

Firstimemummy15 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:08:39

It's all very confusing isn't it! I had a severe wisdom tooth infection in my second trimester which I was referred urgently to have removed. I would have needed to have an X-ray and anaesthetic. This didn't sit easy with me - I wouldn't even take paracetamol although in agony! In the end I went to hospital for a consultation and they wouldn't remove because I was pregnant and are recalling me after baby is born - treatment will still be free. I will say that my dentist was very vague - gave me antibiotics which she 'thought' we're safe in pregnancy. Whether it is because it's my first pregnancy and I was over reacting I checked with my midwife first before I took anything! Hope you get sorted and are pain free soon x

Findingthisdifficult1234 Wed 07-Jan-15 09:14:58

Little miss- I would wait to get a mercury filling replaced, just make sure you keep that tooth as clean as possible and sort it once you've given birth.

TheEagle Wed 07-Jan-15 12:35:05

I'm erring on the side of caution because this pregnancy is high risk for me. I'm more inclined (rightly or wrongly) to take my GP's advice than the dentist's.

Probably shouldn't mention to him that this filling came out as I snaffled up the last of a tin of Christmas Roses grin

ApocalypseThen Wed 07-Jan-15 19:22:08

One of my fillings fell out just before Christmas so I had to have it refilled. They have me a pregnancy safe anesthetic, all is fine now, baby's kicking away.

SilverStars Wed 07-Jan-15 19:24:18

I need 2 fillings. Dentist waited until got to second trimester as he said was safest and doing them separately with local anaesthetic.

TheEagle Wed 07-Jan-15 19:52:36

Well all my worrying was for nothing! Dentist patched me up with some putty-like substance.

No X-ray, no anaesthetic, sum total of 10 mins in the chair!

Thanks for all the support and experiences smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now