Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

6.5 week scan, questions.

(9 Posts)
pinkie87 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:52:49

Due to my spotting yesterday I called the early pregnancy unit today and they have booked me an appointment tomorrow for a scan. I was so nervous and rushing on the phone (I was at work) I forgot to ask any questions. Is there anything I need to do/know beforehand? Will it be a transvaginal scan at this point? If so would I still need to have a full bladder? Thanks in advance.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 05-Jan-15 19:57:17

When I had one, I had to go with a full bladder but they couldn't see anything so I went to the toilet and then it was transvaginal.

Bondy83 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:59:13

An early scan will be internal (painless bit like a smear) this is so they can get a clearer image of baby and also so they can have a good luck at where the bleed is coming from. You need an empty bladder but they will ask you to wee again before they do it

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 05-Jan-15 20:05:13

Agree with bondy will be an internal and will require an empty bladder.

I hope it goes ok x

PregnantAndEngaged Mon 05-Jan-15 20:07:41

I would go with a full bladder as I went at around that early for my first scan and they could see it on the screen. You could always go to the toilet before having an internal if they decide they need to do if they can't see anything.

pinkie87 Mon 05-Jan-15 20:12:05

Thanks all. That's really helpful. smile

marne2 Mon 05-Jan-15 20:16:45

I have had several early scans, was asked to gave full bladder for external and then told to empty bladder for internal.

I had spotting with both pregnancies, turned out to be cervical erosion. Good luck xx

Meirasa Mon 05-Jan-15 23:49:39

It's 6.5 weeks and will be internal and require an empty bladder. It will look like a bubble or an engagement ring. At that stage we saw a heart beat but most people don't, so don't panic xx

katandkits Tue 06-Jan-15 06:07:07

Good luck! I would go with a full bladder, i had a scan at this stage and they did abdominal first, if they want to do transvaginal they will ask you to empty your bladder. If your dates are spot on you may see a teeny tiny embryo like a little peanut and a visible heartbeat. But it is common for dates to be slightly out if you only have your last period to go on. Unfortunately scanning at six weeks doesn't necessarily give you a definite answer about the viability of the pregnancy, if they aren't sure they invite you back two weeks later which is nerve wracking. However if you do see a live embryo it is extremely reassuring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now