Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breastfeeding Starter Set

(20 Posts)
skyra13 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:07:02

I am planning on Breast feeding this will be my first is it worth getting a starter kit that comes with a few bottles and things to start me off. I want to express so DH can also do feeds with the little one?
Any recommendation welcome.
Thanks

bagofsnakes Mon 05-Jan-15 18:23:50

I got bottles but hardly ever used them and so they were pretty much a waste of money. Expressing was much harder than breastfeeding for me so DH was actually more useful doing other things around the house while I was feeding... like getting me more food :-) I'd wait and see if you need them, you'll want to get breastfeeding established before you thinking anyway. If/when you need then, you can order them online or send DH out to pick some up.

QoFE Mon 05-Jan-15 18:28:25

This kits are what is often referred to as a booby trap

Generally a waste of money and nothing more than a ploy to undermine successful breastfeeding by bottle/formula manufacturers.

katandkits Mon 05-Jan-15 18:31:35

You already have a starter kit strapped to your chest! If you like, get a basic manual pump, one bottle and a pack of sterilising tablets, but don't fork out on a load of useless kit and caboodle. A tube of lansinoh is useful to have too. If I made a breastfeeding starter kit it would be full up with shit loads of cake and a DVD box set.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Mon 05-Jan-15 18:39:34

^ this^ Specially the cake.
I found it easier to sit and feed while my DH did all the cooking and cleaning. At first you are best to just stick with the breast and like a PP said review in a few weeks. I went for the Tommee Tippee breast pump set which had a bottle and a microwave steriliser in it. i'll try and link.
All you need is nipple cream and breast pads and you're sorted.

blackwidow74 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:41:44

Lol KatandKits ... I'd buy from you!!!!

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Mon 05-Jan-15 18:43:25

[http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/3767773.htm]

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 05-Jan-15 18:45:11

Add to the kit a sports water bottle for you to drink from. Expressing can be very difficult and I think you're unlikely to do it to start off. I bought a pump on Amazon prime with next day delivery when I needed one. One bottle was plenty to start off with.

HoldenCaulfield80 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:54:20

I bought a load of bottles when I was pregnant and now I only use one for expressed breast milk when DD has her daily bottle (getting her used to it for when I'm back at work). All the others are gathering dust...
Breastfeeding is just so much easier for a lazy sod like me than sterilising and making up bottles - even when they're EBM. That pleasure's reserved for DH when I'm not theresmile

skyra13 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:59:56

So drinks, food breast pads and nipple cream then lol

Biscuitsneeded Mon 05-Jan-15 19:03:05

What katandkits said.

bagofsnakes Mon 05-Jan-15 19:20:18

skyra13 - exactly! And a big bag of snacks. I'm 35 weeks with DC2 and I have a carry bag in the cupboard that I'm filling with treats to get me through those early days of breastfeeding, it includes lots of half-price Christmas goodies; Christmas cake, tins of biscuits, cheese straws, chocolate brazil nut and the like. Gotta keep your strength up!

katandkits - that's my kinda breastfeeding kit!

FlossieTreadlight Mon 05-Jan-15 19:36:55

I disagree with some of this advice (and I'm typing this while booking DC2). With DC1 I just bought a basic bottle and borrowed a pump. Then DC couldn't feed due to an Undiagnosed tongue tie and my milk supply was poor because of this. we were discharged from hospital on day 5 and she was rushed to hospital on day 6 due to her dehydration and weight loss. I had nothing in the house to feed her with, thought I was getting milk in to her. The community MW who got us into hospital was incredulous that I didn't even have an emergency carton of formula. DC was fine after being intubated for three days. I freaked out and developed PND. I guess my point is, be prepared. Get or borrow a steriliser, have a carton or two of ready made formula, have a couple of bottles and teats - just in case. If you want to breast feed, you'll breastfeed. Good luck with it all.

FlossieTreadlight Mon 05-Jan-15 19:37:40

Grrr! Boobing, not booking

Minion Mon 05-Jan-15 19:44:12

I also have a differing opinion. I too, wanted to bf, I've tried, the mws tried, dd tried. She will not open her mouth wide enough and when she does she pushes her tongue to the roof of her mouth.
It also makes bottle feeding a bit of a challenge sometimes.
I'm glad I bought bottles and a steriliser just in case, it saved my sanity when I thought I wasn't doing the one thing I was supposed to.

FranksBobot Mon 05-Jan-15 19:48:55

Another here who desperately tried to breastfeed dd2 having had no issues feeding dd1. I am so relieved I had invested in a pump and bottles whilst pregnant this time as dd2 just couldn't get the hang of it. She is now 19 days old and has been exclusively fed expressed milk since day 2.
Yes all you technically need to breast feed is breasts but sometimes it just isnt that simple.

Bigbadgeorge Mon 05-Jan-15 19:52:26

I would second having emergency milk in just in case/for peace of mind. Get the cow and gate disposable ready made bottles. My dd ended up having the odd one of those in the early days (advised as she was a wee bit early and in nicu for a short while) and it didn't harm breast feeding. I was also incredibly self conscious of feeding in public at the beginning so having a 'fall back' bottle in my bag helped if it went pear shaped. Took the pressure off.

skyra13 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:55:50

So a few bottles and emergency milk just in case and then can always send DH out if need to get other things.

bagofsnakes Mon 05-Jan-15 20:03:59

I do agree with the last few posters but I'd say that, unless you live very remotely, these things can be perchance very quickly or ordered online with 24 hour delivery if need be and the OP needn't spend money on things that she may well never use. Speaking of 24 hours delivery, I was recommended to buy The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding before I gave birth, I didn't - once home from the hospital I ordered it on 24 express delivery. So, that's another recommendation smile

sleepybee Mon 05-Jan-15 20:06:12

I'm a first timer & I've bought a Tommy tippee start set with bottles steriliser etc from Amazon it was 49.99 I've also bought the Tommy tippee electric pump can't remember how much but it was also from Amazon. I'm not sure if it's right etc but I got them both after listening to friends experiences. I intend to breastfeed if possible for 6 months max

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now