Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What will I really need?

(9 Posts)
Blondie1991 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:07:01

Hi there,
Im currently 33 weeks pregnant and starting to think i should be gathering up all I need for impending arrival, even just what I will need to pack for hospital and how much little one will need for first few weeks? And that size should I buy? This is my first pregnancy.
Thanks smile

Meplusyouequals4 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:19:28

Have you bought anything?

Blondie1991 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:25:37

Yeah ive got a moses basket, ordered travel system, baby monitors and have a wee hat and sleepsuit. All big things are being looked after its really just what clothes etc i will need for baby in the first few weeks that im wondering about

Meplusyouequals4 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:33:45

You will need, vests, baby grows, socks, cardigans, And a few outfits (baby's spend most of the time in vests and babygrows) and a coat.

You will also need blankets, sheets for moses basket, nappies, cotton wool/wipes. Cream, shampoo, soap.
Also a baby bath or bath support (for normal bath) which ever you want to use

Depending on what your planning on doing feeding wise, bottles, teats, steriliser. Or nursing bra and breast pads.

Jaffakake Mon 05-Jan-15 17:38:00

I'd recommend getting a few things in first size and then more in 0-3 months. Tbh you get used to the fact that nothing ever fits & doesn't really need to!

How much to buy depends largely on if you own a tumble drier. I was looking through the stuff from ds and I've got something like 12 vests & 12 sleep suits + a few cardies my mum knitted. But ds was an August baby & we didn't have a tumble drier.

Once baby us here you can always pick up more or order online if you need it.

Meplusyouequals4 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:39:50

Oh and towels, and loads of bibs I personally prefer the ones with the plastic backs(they don't look as nice but they hold the spillages better.

Blondie1991 Mon 05-Jan-15 17:45:31

Thank you both this been very helpful. Yeah we have a tumble dryer so that will be a great help. Hoping to breastfeed for the first few weeks at least to see how it goes.
Meplusyou What would you recommend the baby bath or bath support?

Meplusyouequals4 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:15:08

With my DD I had a baby bath for the first week but hated it so big and awkward and a pain to store. So I bought a bath support and it was much better. So this time (I'm 34 weeks) I've bought a bath support straight away just cos it's easier but my friend had one of those changing unit things that has a mat on the top that lifts off and is a bath underneath. Her bathroom is downstairs so for her it's better it's just what you prefer /have space for

JennyBlueWren Mon 05-Jan-15 20:25:58

Here's a link to the the thread I had on this last week with my "Ultimate List" and other people's helpful comments:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/2269225-Ultimate-list

I think there's what we need immediately and what we can get once baby is here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now