Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extreme breathlessness

(8 Posts)
hanban89 Mon 05-Jan-15 16:44:56

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I am 35 weeks pregnant and on Thursday I started having an achey feeling around my knee and on Friday I started getting very breathless, even at total rest, and felt like I just couldn't get enough air. It was the same on Saturday so I ended up contacting my local triage and was asked to go in.
When I got there they took my bp etc and done a trace of the baby which was all fine, but they kept me in as they were worried about a blood clot. That night I had a chest x ray which was clear, and the next day I had an ultrasound of both legs which was fine, and a ct scan which came back too unclear to use. While I was in I kept being breathless and I fainted. Blood tests were all clear and I was discharged without any explanation. While I was in I was on blood thinning injections, which have been stopped now as they couldn't see anything.
Has anyone else experienced this type of breathlessness? Or had a blood clot that was difficult to find? Any advice would be great.

muddylettuce Mon 05-Jan-15 21:33:06

I get breathless when iron levels are low. I take it they tested that? X

blankfornames Mon 05-Jan-15 22:41:27

Hi HanBan, if you are still breathless get it checked out again. I was extremely breathless about two weeks ago and put it down to being heavily pregnant. They sent me for a cat scan to rule out a clot in my lung but turned out to be pneumonia. I hadn't had a cough so was extremely taken aback. Myself and bump are fine now and this isn't to scare you but just advice not to leave it if you're still breathless. Hope you feel better soon

Jodie1982 Tue 06-Jan-15 09:38:20

I get extreme breathlessness too, it's so scary but mine is due to quite low Iron levels (9.?)
Are your Iron levels okay?

CaramellaDeVille Tue 06-Jan-15 09:42:01

As others have said above, my first thought is iron levels!!

hanban89 Wed 07-Jan-15 21:42:22

Thanks for all your replies. Are hemoglobin levels the same as iron levels? They said my hemoglobin levels were slightly low but not unusually so. The day I got discharged (Monday) I started coughing slightly at home and it's turned into quite a wheezy chesty cough so maybe it could have been this starting??? I fainted again today while taking my daughter for her nursery induction day! Luckily one of the staff was a former midwife and there was no panic and it passed once I came back to normal. Breathlessness is still there. Thanks again for the advice x

CaramellaDeVille Thu 08-Jan-15 07:26:28

Yes haemoglobin levels are the same. I'd recommend taking spatone (you can buy it in boots and other chemists) as it is very quick to work and doesn't make you constipated or nauseous. But if you're fainting I'd see the GP asap.

MrsCK Thu 08-Jan-15 07:29:30

I had exactly this at around 30 weeks. was so worried but there was no clot and the baby had just moved making it hard to breathe. was sent away being told it was part of pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now