Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What NHS classes you were offered?

(9 Posts)
Zahrah5 Mon 05-Jan-15 14:33:50

We have decided not to go to NCT classes due to the cost.

I have read on many places that many people take free NHS classes.

All what my hospital has offered me is 1 day session in duration of 4hr. I just think that is very little and dont know what stuff they could possibly go over, I am guessing it wil be more about hospital (what to bring) than about labour, baby care, breastfeeding etc.

Were you offered more, longer classes, more sessions? SHould I go inquire somewhere else? At my GP? My hospital is out of my local area so I do all my appts at hospital, nothing at GP.

ChanceBeAFineThing Mon 05-Jan-15 14:47:57

3 years ago I was only offered 2 2 hour sessions on the NHS. One covered labour and delivery, the other post delivery and breastfeeding. Sadly I think that's all the NHS can afford (apparently it used to be a 6 session course). But we manged fine without paying for nct.

skyra13 Mon 05-Jan-15 15:38:01

My Midwife has book me in for mine, they book you in so they know you get a place they have a 2 2 hour session of an evening about labour breastfeeding and things.
And an early learning one I think it was called about what to do after the birth and things that's in the afternoon. I think the NHS ones will cover what is needed.
I don't see why people should need to pay for NCT classes all the information is out there that you need, to me its just an expensive way to make some baby friends.

weelamb123 Mon 05-Jan-15 15:43:32

I didn't attend any with dc1. I felt I had plenty of experience with helping my sister raise her three boys from when they were babies. I also didn't want to go and talk about labour and delivery and stress myself out. 12 weeks with dc2 and haven't been offered any. Xxx

JanSales Mon 05-Jan-15 15:47:41

I got 4 x 1 hour evenings sessions in my last trimester at the hospital I was due to give birth at.

They covered a Labour ward tour, birth plans, pain relief options and common interventions, caring for a newborn and breastfeeding.

They were nice enough, but nothing I couldnt have found out in a book.

I did NCT with my second pregnancy as felt I'd missed out by not doing it with my first. I really dont think they were worth the money. The only thing you get out of them is the friendship group.

The hospital sessions were much more practical and far less maundering on about the birth 'experience'. Although I could really have dine without any of it, to be honest!

sleepybee Mon 05-Jan-15 17:40:10

I've been offered a breast feeding workshop plus there was a list of antenatal classes but I could only choose one. We went with the couples class as my husband wanted to go it's 2 evening sessions & they are 2 hours long.

The other classes were like women only or single parent etc

D0nnaO Mon 05-Jan-15 18:18:23

I've been offered (and booked on) 4 x 1hr sessions held at the local children's centre

JennyBlueWren Mon 05-Jan-15 20:24:10

We have 3 x 2 hour sessions at our health centre (GP). Not sure what will be covered as first one is this Wednesday but am looking forward to meeting other local mums-to-be.

Chose not to go to NCT classes (despite my parents' enthusiasm for them) as they were in the city not our town and in the evenings so would make for a long day.

NickyEds Mon 05-Jan-15 21:33:41

We did a 2 hour NHS course. One hour was the sequences of labour, the next hour was more or less pain relief and sections. It was hopeless really. I also booked a "Stalk Walk" around the labour ward and MLU where they discussed what to bring and when to come in. Breastfeeding preparation was a DVD and a well meaning mw demonstrating with a knitted boob! Nothing about baby care but I was reasonably confident about bathing, nappies etc. More after care preparation for me would've been nice, things like bathing stitches etc. I really didn't prepare enough at all and some of the things that happened during and after labour shocked and surprised me. I don't think mw are allowed to officially recommend courses but I'm sure if you ask they could point you in the right direction for some in your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now