Talk

Advanced search

Tight trousers (as ridiculous as it sounds)

(22 Posts)
Skeppers Mon 05-Jan-15 10:04:23

This is no doubt a REALLY stupid question (to add to my catalogue of other ridiculous, paranoid, first-time-mother-to-be questions) but I couldn't help notice that I've...ahem...'spread' a little over the Xmas period and my trusty black skinny jeans I wear for work are a little tight around the tum. This won't cause any problems for the growing baby, will it? I'm only 9wks so don't really have a bump per se (well, there's certainly a 'bump' but it's more Xmas cake than baby). Is it OK to squish things in the tummy region? Or am I being overprotective? I don't want to be buying maternity trousers at 9 weeks! shock It's too cold for dresses/leggings and I don't want to be shelling out for new clothes- it's January and I'm skint! Currently sat at my desk with my button undone to relieve the pressure and keep forgetting when I stand up...

leanne963 Mon 05-Jan-15 10:10:03

I had the same concern when I was first starting to show but I remember how hard they press down to scan the baby for an ultrasound and im sure the baby is well protected smile

CoodleMoodle Mon 05-Jan-15 10:17:27

Don't worry, you won't be hurting the baby smile Quite a lot of padding between your jeans and him/her, even so early.

I wore my usual trousers until I couldn't any more, and when they started getting a bit snug I used to thread a hairband through the hole and loop it over the button so I didn't have to do it up properly - worked brilliantly!

I can't remember exactly when I went over to maternity jeans (and bigger leggings, but my bump was quite high so the waistband was underneath) but it was the best thing ever. I also wore them for several weeks after birth... well, several months wink Even though they were falling down because I was lucky and went back to normal very quickly. I just loved those soft waistbands so much...

ChatEnOeuf Mon 05-Jan-15 10:21:06

Won't be harmful at all, just uncomfortable for you! I used a hair bobble to extend my jeans button for a few weeks - that awkward stage where your regular clothes don't fit and your mat jeans fall down...

TouchPauseEngage Mon 05-Jan-15 10:21:36

I was in maternity jeans by 8 weeks - mainly because I found it really uncomfortable to have anything tight on my stomach. If you're not ready to buy any yet then you could loop a hair bobble through your button hole and around button to give you a bit more room. You could also order a black bump band (v cheap from new look) to cover the top of you jeans up.

TouchPauseEngage Mon 05-Jan-15 10:23:06

Oh and check out ebay for maternity jeans. I got mine for £3!

dementedpixie Mon 05-Jan-15 10:27:14

www.mothercare.com/Fertile-Mind-Belly-Belt/483287,default,pd.html - I remember using these when pregnant, seemed to work ok for a while

Zahrah5 Mon 05-Jan-15 10:29:42

there are couple of things you can do:

I personally would not be squishing myself into pants as not only because of baby but it is also uncomfortable to be sitting like that all day, pregnant or not pregnant.

You can wear top which covers it and leave the button unbuttoned, what will give you some extra space, or you can use to hair tie to put on the hole and button.

You can buy matternity belly bands which are exactly for this reason, when you regular clothes just dont fit you, you will leave unbuttoned and unzippered pants but put belly band over it to hold them and cover it.

But my best advice is, you should start looking for proper maternity pants because there is no discussion, you will need them and for me took couple of weeks to find those which fitted great. The range of maternity clothers in stores is limited and it took me couple of online orders and returns to get great fitting ones. By 14 weeks I was very glad I had them and they were much much more comfy than unzippered unbutonned jeans.

If you dont want to be spending for new clothes, well I dont know but you will have to, it will get only worse and I think it is better to buy early so you get lots of wear out of them and are not uncomfortable. Now is a good time because many places have sales.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 05-Jan-15 10:31:07

No, you wont hurt the baby but you may feel uncomfortable. I was in Maternity Jeans with dc2 at seven weeks, but thankfully that wasnt an indicator of a massive bump at the end.

Just go for the maternity jeans,theyll be so much more comfortable!

Skeppers Mon 05-Jan-15 10:46:26

Ta everyone. I LIKE the hairband idea; might try that tomorrow!

I will have a peruse of maternity clothes in the sales; but when I say I'm skint, I mean I'm skint-with-a-capital-S, ie. have just enough money to eat/commute for the rest of the month but zero disposable income til payday. Damn you, Christmas! wink But I appreciate what you're saying about sorting it earlier rather than later...I'll be all over it come the end of the month. Also, I've not had any scans yet so don't want to start buying maternity stuff until I know that all is present and correct down there.

As an aside, does anyone know where is good for plus-size maternity gear? Am a size 18-20 and tall (which always makes things interesting- clothing manufacturers seem to assume that if you're a plus size, you're short and dumpy as opposed to tall and curvy!)

Teeste Mon 05-Jan-15 10:59:37

OP - you might find this page helpful smile

ToddlingAlong1 Mon 05-Jan-15 11:46:06

I found my jeans tight around 6-7 weeks from bloating, then went down and fine again until a few days before my 12 week scan. Was walking around with button undone on my jeans! When I went for my scan the first think they mentioned, was that it was not good to be wearing tight clothes around my tummy. He saw a slight red mark from my jeans line. I said I would sort it to which his reply was - Very Soon. I was obviously waiting until all was ok and then went out and bought maternity jeans. Bliss! I would start looking around in the sales as you will need then most likely before the end of the month. Or buy a cheap pair of leggings with an elasticated waiste.

Skeppers Mon 05-Jan-15 11:54:48

Ooh, an elasticated waist. Sounds dreamy! I'm not even kidding.
You know I'll just use maternity clothes as an excuse to eat more..."FETCH MOMMA'S EATING DRESS!" wink

weelamb123 Mon 05-Jan-15 14:18:09

Jeggings, jeggings and jeggings.......xx

TouchPauseEngage Mon 05-Jan-15 14:40:47

skeppers I'm almost 15 weeks and my bump is 10% baby 90% kettle chips.
Just you wait until you put on the maternity jeans for the first time. Ahhhhhh. I have no idea how I will go back to normal clothes now...

MrsMogginsMinge Mon 05-Jan-15 16:22:14

Try the sales in Primark and New Look if you're skint and in urgent need. I picked up some mat jeans in long leg length in the August sales for £3 and £8 respectively. Mat clothes tend to be cut generously so you might not need officially plus sized or tall clothes - I am normally a size 16 on a good day but most of my mat clothes are 14s (and I'm still in them at 33 weeks). I'm a 'pear' and I imagine if you're an 'apple' this would apply even more. So try on some 16s and see how you go. H&M Mama also have some bargains at the mo but they don't tend to carry the larger sizes instore and you may need to size up - I'm wearing a pair of their jeans in 18 as we speak. Finally: be prepared for your waist-level bloating bump to plateau or recede after 12 weeks or so. If you're tall and broad your actual baby bump might not 'pop' until 20+ weeks or so. The infuriating inbetweeny stage lasted for ages for me, so the hair bobble is going to be your friend for a while...

sleepybee Mon 05-Jan-15 17:34:03

I'd go for leggings & dress/long top ASOS have dresses for really cheap in the sale £6/7 & tops from £3. I wear next maternity leggings which are £12 I've worn them since a few weeks preggers & I'm coming up for 24 now & still loads of bump room. I have topshop jeans - they are normal price but I love them & they also come up quite roomy I've found. Like others have said I don't think I'll ever wear normal jeans again as the soft waist bands are the best invention

applecore0317 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:20:46

if you are good at this kind of thing, I took an older pair of jeggings today and a vest top, cut the front part of the waist band off the jeggings then cut the vest top in half leaving the sewn bit at the top, got some wonderweb and attached it to the jeggings, free pair of mat jeans and only took around twenty mins, didn't want to buy too many pairs

applecore0317 Mon 05-Jan-15 18:22:06

I just fold the top bit down and then will bring it up when I get bigger

TheScenicRoute Mon 05-Jan-15 21:02:05

I'm surprised you can tolerate them tight as I was in maternitytrousers at 8 weeks because i just could not tolerate anything bothering my tummy, I guess we are all different. X

Sonoma Mon 05-Jan-15 23:08:46

I have some pairs of fat (i.e. early pregnancy) jeans. they come in handy on the other side for a few months (or nine...) when you are thoroughly sick of maternity wear but not back in your skinnies.

LadyNovember Tue 06-Jan-15 12:36:40

Buy a couple of pairs of mat jeans..you only need a blue and black pair IMO. Honestly, it'll be the best thing you do! :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now