Talk

Advanced search

Nappy Bins.........

(37 Posts)
skyra13 Sat 03-Jan-15 16:53:08

Are they worth the money or a waste of money?
I like the Tommee Tippee Sangenic Nappy Disposal but is it worth it?
what do you ladies use just the nappy bags ect...
Be good to find out peoples options?
Thanks smile

claracluck1978 Sat 03-Jan-15 16:56:34

We had this system for our twins for the first year or so. Was a lifesaver at night when we'd be changing them maybe twice each a night (I say lifesaver but just meant we could get back to bed quicker)

trilbydoll Sat 03-Jan-15 16:59:23

It is useful to have something, you don't really want to be running down to the wheelie bin all the time. Nappies smell after a while so a normal open bin isn't ideal, anything with a lid will do though. We have a lidded bucket that was about £7 on Amazon.

purpleapple1234 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:00:16

Never had one. Kitchen bin worked well enough. Wrapped particular stiny nappies in sandwich bags. I have used others nappy bins and just found them to be a faff. Also a friend was saying that hers needed special bags which added to the cost.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Sat 03-Jan-15 17:00:24

Oh yes a lifesaver if you don't mind the stink of poo cause no matter the filter system or how often you empty they STINK of sh1t

Better with nappy bags and straight into main bin ASAP

leanne963 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:03:06

I got given one for free by a friend who said it was amazing through the first year with her first son, but didn't use it as much with her second!
I honestly wouldn't even have considered a specific bin for nappies but I am learning as I go! smile

Tzibeleh Sat 03-Jan-15 17:04:12

Waste of money.

Smell foul. And, even if you like the artificial fragrance, they smell truly rank after several months.

You have to buy special bags, not just what's on offer, so they coat to use as well as to buy.

Just an ordinary pedal bin with lid is perfectly adequate. Wee-wee nappies don't need bagging, poo nappies benefit from bagging if you're not emptying the bin every day.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sat 03-Jan-15 17:05:48

Pooey nappies into a nappy sack and wheely bin asap.
Wee nappies just in kitchen bin..
Too much faff (and smell shock) to have a specific nappy bin IMO.
grin

Pisghetti Sat 03-Jan-15 17:06:56

We had one with DS and it reeked. Won't be bothering this time!

Annbag Sat 03-Jan-15 17:08:03

Depends on your living arrangement. I loved mine, but lived in a flat on a high floor and couldn't be going out to the bin all the time. If you have an outside bin near your door that should do the trick if you want to save some pennies

Cullercoats88 Sat 03-Jan-15 17:13:25

I just brought a small bin with a click on lid from one of these cheap pound shops. It was £5 and I will put a bin liner in it and then use nappy sacks- I think that should suffice. Our bins are collected daily so it seems the best option!! X

PisforPeter Sat 03-Jan-15 17:14:50

Complete waste of money!
Most parents I know put pooey napped in nappy sack & leave outside front/back door until you have time to run to wheely bin. You would eant it fermenting in your house

FreeButtonBee Sat 03-Jan-15 17:58:08

I just had a mini sized flip top bin for nappies and emptied it every evening. Couldn't stand the thought of 10's of dirty nappies festering away in the corner of my kitchen envy

ch1134 Sat 03-Jan-15 19:31:25

We bought a lidded bin for baby's room and a big lidded dustbin for outside. Each night we empty the inside one into the outside one.

WrappedInABlankie Sat 03-Jan-15 19:53:55

I've got a sangenic and mine doesn't smell and had it for two years, but then again I put my nappies in nappy bags then in the bin twist twice and go. I also give it a clean and dettol spray once I empty it.

Once I cba to by the cassettes I just used a carrier bag in the bin and took them all out at once. I'd get them on offer though paid about 10 for mine. You find them on buy and sell pages etc for about £5 if you don't want to pay a lot

fanjobiscuits Sat 03-Jan-15 19:56:07

We found definitely worth the money to minimise smell. As bags cost more we put wet nappies in a normal bin and dirty in the ' poo bin'.

caravela Sat 03-Jan-15 20:05:18

At moment (8 week old baby) we have a separate bin but not a special one - just a spare swing lid bin by the changing table. Pooey nappies go in a nappy bag, wet ones straight in the bin. At least every other day if not every day we take the bin bag out to the wheelie (in top floor flat so hassle to go straight out).

But nappy bags are tiny - how do you fit the nappies in once your baby isn't in newborn sizes? And I'm a bit worried about the smell once baby is on solids and so has stinky poo.

SeptemberBabies Sat 03-Jan-15 20:08:56

What's wring with just putting nappies (in a nappy bag) in the kitchen bin?

Assuming the bin has a lid and is emptied often (ie daily) then this is fine.

babyblabber Sat 03-Jan-15 20:13:42

Essential in my view. Expecting number 3 and wouldn't be without it. We run out of cartridges occasionally and use nappy sacks instead and I swear the wee smell is worse than the poo sometimes!

WrappedInABlankie Sat 03-Jan-15 20:41:45

September it's just me and my two year old I empty my bin like once a week would be massively inconvenient going out once a day

FATEdestiny Sat 03-Jan-15 20:52:21

Ahh. I have four children, dogs, cats - you get the general chaos idea. Our(large) kitchen bin is emptied daily, often more than once. All nappies from DD just go straight into the bin and instantly covered in more rubbish to muffle the smell.

JennyBlueWren Sat 03-Jan-15 21:00:15

I'm on the fence with this one. Tempted to buy a proper nappy bin but otherwise will have a dedicated small bin upstairs. When changing downstairs will take nappies straight out to the bin. I know DH won't like to have them in the normal kitchen bin as he objects to the cat's litter going in there.

buttercupbear Sat 03-Jan-15 21:22:45

Ubbi diaper pail , expensive but no smell whatsoever and can use normal bin bags

Meplusyouequals4 Sat 03-Jan-15 22:11:47

We had a plastic bin with a lid and handle, kept downstairs during the day, emptied in the wheelie bin before bed. Then taken upstairs for the night and emptied in the morning.

We bagged number ones in one nappy bag. Number twos in two nappy bags.

We also bought bin deodorising stuff for the inside just to make it not smell.

I just bought one of the tubs from Morrisons for £4

skyra13 Sun 04-Jan-15 11:14:21

It is good to see people view I may just get a separate bin for nappies for up stairs and downstairs and empty them of an evening and morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now