Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Getting fit and flexible in pregnancy

(4 Posts)
Eltonjohnsflorist Sat 03-Jan-15 10:53:27

SOB I used to be fit before falling pregnant. I have pretty much stopped exercising due to the tiredness, breathlessness and so on.

I'm 6 months now and feel noticeably less fit. Out of breath faster, developed bingo wings and now my hips and back are aching and painful

I have 3 months to turn this around! Any advice? I have the tracey anderson pregnancy project (not done it though!) and go to ante natal yoga once a week. I walk a lot (a good 3 miles a day) I thought about swimming.

Would a pregnancy massage help
With the back and hip pain?

I really need to be fit to push out this baby!

bellaboo88 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:00:55

Breathlessness is deffo baby related - uterus expanding pushing your organs out of the way. As for flexibility, I couldn't touch my toes before without bending my legs. I'm now nearly 34w and its near impossible!!

You sound like you're doing all the right things! Swimming is fabulous! I can't imagine a massage will be a fix, unfortunately all the extra weight we carry (inc baby fluid & placenta not to mention extra blood etc) will cause pain.

Love your name BTW, doing Elton's flowers once was the kick I needed to start my floristry career! X

Eltonjohnsflorist Sat 03-Jan-15 20:19:07

I'd love to be a florist, lucky you smile
I will start swimming. Discussed with my mum earlier who also said it'll be the extra weight on your hips.

chiruri Sat 03-Jan-15 20:19:33

I wouldn't get too hung up on it tbh. I was pretty fit prior to being pregnant, and have kept as active as possible throughout my pregnancy (kept up my previous cardio and weight based classes 3-4 times a week until 35w, worked in my moderately physical job for the same time, and even now at 38w am still walking regularly and attending light weights/cardio classes once a week). However despite my best efforts I get incredibly out of breath on even light activity, and my pelvis and back regularly ache. These are side effects of the way your body changes when cooking a baby, and not something you can change with an exercise DVD or class.
Keeping active with walking/swimming/yoga is a good idea, or continuing whatever exercise you were used to doing before you got pregnant with the understanding that you are not going to feel as fit, but listen to your body and adjust things accordingly. And don't put too much pressure on yourself! I'm very guilty of piling on the pressure to myself to keep up with my (non-pregnant) friends. Remember, in addition to all the acirivity you do, you're also building a baby!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: